The York News-Times Sports Reporter uses basic facts to develop compelling, timely and well-sourced stories that accurately reflect the nature of the community or beat the reporter covers. This should be a combination of daily stories and projects undertaken in conjunction with a supervisor. A Sports Reporter also ensures that photo and graphics assignments are filed early in the information gathering process and that presentation elements are considered for each story. A Sports Reporter is an entry level position that requires a bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or equivalent experience. One to two years experience at a smaller newspaper is preferred. Internships at larger papers and strong college newspaper experience will be highly considered.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Generate, report and write stories as assigned by Sports Editor with primary focus on sports events.
- Take photos of sports events, teams, etc…as needed and assigned for publication in print and web.
- Write a weekly column for the sports section with a primary, but not exclusive, focus being of sports in nature
- Write special section stories as assigned.
- Write sports news updates for website.
- Use social media to promote stories, attract audience and cover brea king news.
- Works with others to develop visual and multimedia elements to go with stories.
- On-site, regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Safely drive to and from various locations.