Social Media and Public Relations CoordinatorThe Virginia Tourism Corporation
Social Media and Public Relations Coordinator
The Virginia Tourism Corporation (VTC) is seeking a Social Media and Public Relations Coordinator to join its Communications department in VTC's Marketing Division. This position will work in a collaborative team environment to disseminate information to key stakeholders, execute a strategic social media plan, and assist in the development of messaging for use inside and outside of the organization. The ideal candidate will be familiar with all relevant social networks, measurement tools, local and national online communities, and possess an ability to help manage VTC's extensive digital footprint.
• Serve as community manager by overseeing and coordinating social properties – including channel moderation, brand-to-consumer engagement, and strategic campaign amplification
• Assist in the development of engaging content for each social channel
• Assist in curating and developing weekly paid social
• Monitor comments across all social channels and respond in a timely manner
• Amplify branded consumer initiatives through creative social media campaigns
• Assist with drafting and maintaining social editorial calendar to align with brand guidelines and creative platforms
• Contribute regularly to reports and presentations
• Create unique content opportunities to drive traffic to Virginia.org
• Scout social media influencers and coordinate their contracts and itineraries
• Send daily news clips to key stakeholders, including industry news & trends, proactive placements secured by the PR team, and general Virginia travel and tourism stories
• Build and update media lists, including influencers and bloggers in addition to traditional media
• Help to educate the industry on the use, strategy and analysis of social media as a marketing platform
• Present on social media use and strategy at quarterly VTC Orientations
• Write and/or edit PR materials as needed, including but not limited to talking points, accolades, media profile sheets, etc.
Experience and Education:
• 1-3 years prior experience in marketing/communications, social media community management, and/or public relations required
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience preferred
• Demonstrated experience establishing consumer-focused social channels
• Background or general interest in travel and tourism essential
• Knowledge of Virginia's tourism destinations and products preferred, but not required
• Expertise on all established and emerging social media platforms, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, reddit, TikTok, etc.
• Experience using social scheduling and visual planning platforms such as HootSuite, Iconosquare, Plano.ly, Later, Hubspot, SEMrush, etc.
• Experience using media database management tools such as Cision and/or TrendKite
• Experience in curating detailed but easily-digestible and aesthetically-pleasing reports
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including editing and proofreading skills
• Proficiency in Adobe applications and/or Photoshop, SEO and Google Analytics
• Proficiency in video editing a plus
• Strong collaborator, working well in a team environment while also able to function as an individual contributor with self-direction and accountability
• Strong time management skills, deadline-oriented and efficient
• Ability to think both creatively and strategically
A valid driver's license is required. This position requires up to 25% in-state travel. Salary minimum: $40,000. Application deadline: October 25, 2019.
VTC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VTC's intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VTC Human Resources at
1-804-545-5634 or email@example.com. TDD 1-800-828-1120.