Are you an adventurous spirit with a love for the mountain lifestyle? Do you have a nose for news and a gift for storytelling? The Vail Daily, located in the heart of the Colorado Rockies, is seeking talented, passionate reporters to cover local government, courts, law enforcement, public safety, transportation, health, education, environment and business. We are looking for someone with one to two years experience working in a daily journalism environment.
As a reporter in our newsroom, you’ll be focused on daily coverage, enterprise stories and longer-term investigative reporting. The ideal candidate will have superior reporting skills and the ability to provide timely explanatory pieces, quick-turn analysis off breaking news and compelling profiles of key people currently in the news. You’ve got to be a planner who knows how to strategize and execute, and you also need to be able to pivot quickly when news happens. This job is all about details — plotting coverage, hitting deadlines, doing your homework, crafting stories that avoid the jargon of government reporting, and driving social media engagement.
Here at the Vail Daily, we punch above our weight, producing award-winning, impactful journalism that captures the spirit of this remarkable place and strengthens the bonds of our communities. We work hard and we play hard here. We live to tell the story of Eagle County, where people from across the country come to worship the outdoors.
Full disclosure: It snows here — a lot, if we're lucky.
Compensation: $18-$21 per hour depending on experience.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Generate 6-7 stories per week.
- Take photos and video as well as create and share content on social media.
- Demonstrate effective use of social media tools to source stories and drive traffic to our digital and print products.
- Work well with community leaders/figures as well as other newsroom staff.
- Be flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment.
- Ensure accuracy, fairness and correct spelling in all reporting duties.
- Follow direction and vision of the Vail Daily editor.
- Make assigned deadlines without exception.
- Fill in for reporting vacancies as needed.
- Be ethical within the guidelines set by the editor.
- Be a team player and help where needed.
- One year reporting experience
- Experience with content management systems
- Digital photography experience
- Knowledge of AP style
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Availability to work some nights and weekends
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Must have a current driver’s license or the ability to get one
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.