Education Attorney #19328utah office of attorney general
Education Attorney - Southern Utah University
The Office of the Attorney General, Education Division, is seeking an attorney to perform legal services, specifically including litigation, for Southern Utah University in Cedar City, Utah. This attorney will work with Assistant Attorneys General who provide representation to Utah's public institutions of higher education, as well as with the General Counsel for Southern Utah University.
The responsibilities of this position include the following:
1. Provide written and oral legal services to Southern Utah University, including its various departments and associated entities, on a wide range of issues related to institutions of higher education, which could include, but is not limited to employee and student issues, contracts and procurement, state/federal law compliance, university policy and associated litigation.
2. Litigate matters, both independently and in association with other Assistant Attorneys General.
3. Conduct and/or represent Southern Utah University at formal and informal hearings and/or trials, as well as with regard to grievances, negotiations, and/or other matters.
4. Work closely with the General Counsel of Southern Utah University with regard to the General Counsel's coordination of legal services to the institution.
5. Conduct legal research and gather evidence.
6. Receive, research, and respond to incoming legal inquiries and complaints; provide information, explain policy and procedures, and/or facilitate resolutions.
7. Conduct legal review of, and often assist in authoring, policies considered for adoption by Southern Utah University.
8. Attend regular meetings upon request and/or as necessary.
9. Provide legal review, analysis and counsel on a wide range of issues to minimize risks typically associated with institutions of higher education.
10. Provide other legal services as requested by Southern Utah University.
Legal work for institutions of higher education is extremely diverse in subject matter and often time-sensitive. The successful candidate should have excellent written and oral advocacy skills, first-rate legal acumen, broad knowledge of diverse areas of law, the ability to communicate information and ideas accurately, clearly and concisely, and excellent interpersonal skills. Litigation experience in state and federal court is preferred, as this position is envisioned to address non-Risk Management- covered litigation. A minimum of three years legal experience is required. Membership in the Utah State Bar and qualification for admission to the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah are required. The position is a career service position upon successful completion of a one year probationary period and the salary is commensurate with experience in conjunction with the career service matrix. The position is located on the main campus of Southern Utah University in Cedar City, Utah.
The Attorney General's Office is an equal opportunity employer. Security background checks are completed as a condition of employment.