US District Court
The U.S. District Court is currently recruiting for a Court Interpreter. The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
1. Provides simultaneous and consecutive interpretation, and sight translation services during in-court hearings related to all stages of the criminal process by transferring the message from English into Spanish, and from Spanish into English.
2. Provides interpreting services in the relay mode with interpreters of indigenous languages from Mexico. Acts as facilitator of telephonic events in the courtroom for interpreting events in other-than-Spanish languages.
3. Provides interpreting services to the Probation Office during pre-sentencing interviews, and assists officers with verification calls when requested.
4. Provides interpreting services nationwide as part of the Telephone Interpreting Program. This responsibility entails researching the assigned cases and preparing for the event following established protocols.
5. Prepares for assignments by reading case files and conducting terminology research, as necessary.
6. Prepares written translations of a variety of materials for the court, as well as for the Probation Office, ranging from general correspondence to the court from defendants and/or family members, to complex legal documents from other countries. Assignments may also include the translation of official forms.
7. Reviews and edits the translation work of other staff interpreters, and may be assigned to be chief editor of group translations.
8. Participates in working groups that already exist or may be formed with the objective of completing special projects such as glossaries or translations.
9. Contributes to or prepares presentations on translation/interpretation-related topics as part of staff meetings or other professional development efforts.
10. Must have the ability to remain impartial.
11. The staff interpreter is responsible for assigned administrative duties and clerical work, and keeps in communication with other staff members and the supervisor to accommodate the court’s interpreting needs.
Must have a BS/BA degree and have successfully completed the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination (FCICE) and be federally certified by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts for Spanish/English. Minimum of 3 years of court interpreter experience is also required. Salary is $120,656 with full benefits.
To see specific position requirements, benefits information and the application process, visit the careers tab on www.casd.uscourts.gov for the entire vacancy announcement. Closing date for this position is January 20, 2021. San Diego www.casd.uscourts.gov