CJA Supervising Attorney
CJA Supervising Attorney
The U.S. District Court is currently recruiting for a CJA Supervising Attorney. The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
• In conjunction with counsel and the assigned judge, the CJA Supervising Attorney will assist in the preparation of a budget for each phase of a capital case addressing attorney time, paralegal time, experts and investigation costs.
• Review requests for modification of the budget in cases where a budget has been set.
• Review and authorize interim payment orders, routine travel and transcript requests.
• Review vouchers to ensure time expended is within budget and is reasonable.
• Assists judges with oversight of expenditures in capital prosecution cases, including review of pre- and post-authorization cost estimates and monitoring of such expenditures.
• In non-death penalty cases with multiple attorneys, coordinate with defense counsel to eliminate duplication of motions and to require cooperation in discovery, coordination of investigation and pretrial needs consistent with District guidelines for such cases. Monitor comparative expenditures of various attorneys.
• Review vouchers submitted by attorneys, experts and other service providers for reasonableness, accuracy and in compliance with Judiciary and District guidelines. Consult with judges about significant issues or proposed reductions. Authorize payment of submitted vouchers through delegated authority.
• Meet with CJA panel attorneys to resolve disputes on specific vouchers.
• Review all funding orders and make recommendations to assigned judge as to whether requested rates are consistent with CJA guidelines and as to reasonableness of request.
• Attend, recommend policy changes, prepare agendas and minutes for District Court’s CJA Committee, and assist with other CJA related committees as required.
• Provide guidance and consult with panel attorneys regarding questions and issues.
• Develop, implement and communicate new policy changes to panel attorneys, including ensuring CJA website is accurate and up-to-date.
• Other duties as assigned.
Must have at least 3 year of experience in administrative/clerical work. A Juris Doctor (JD) degree from a law school that has been accredited by a recognized accrediting authority. Salary is $93,350 - $116,720 DOE w/ full benefits.
To see specific position requirements, benefit information and the application process, visit the careers tab on www.casd.uscourts.gov for the entire vacancy announcement.