Lock and Dam Operator #CERG235689107097HW
Job Announcement Number: CERG235689107097HW (2 positions open)
Lock and Dam Operator, Temporary - APPLY BY 9/14/2023!
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
About the Position: This is a temporary position with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Operations Division, Lock and Dam 4 in Alma, WI under the Direct Hiring Authority.
The position performs a variety of maintenance, repair,
and operational duties at a navigation lock and dam.
$24.40 to $33.85 / Per Hour, Salary range represents the lowest entry level through the highest, full performance level.
Pay Scale & Grade: WY-5
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel occasionally for this position.
Temporary - 18 November 2023. Appointment may be extended at management discretion. Full-time.
U.S. Citizens, Nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
• Lubricating bearings, gears, and other moving parts.
• Assisting in repairs to electrical circuits and machinery or small electrical and mechanical motors.
• Adjusting, lubricating, and/or performing preventive maintenance to a variety of power tools, equipment and machinery; painting gates, bulkheads, service bridge machinery.
• Operate electrical and/or hydraulic controls for filling and emptying valves to raise and lower water level.
• Operate controls to open and close lock gates.
• Handle mooring lines on the lock walls, operate tow haulage units, and position vessels at the lock site.
• Enter lockage data into LPMS (Lock Performance Monitoring System).
• Operate roller and tainter gates for control of water level of the pool.
Requirements -Conditions of Employment
• Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
• The duties of this position require the incumbent to possess or obtain and maintain a valid state Driver's License in one of the 50 U.S. states or possessions to operate vehicles.
• This position requires the completion of a pre-employment physical examination.
• The position meets the criteria for random drug testing under the Department of the Army Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program as supplemented by the USACE Pamphlet 600-1-3.
• This position has been designated Mission Essential. In the event of severe weather conditions or other such
emergency type situations (natural or man-made disaster) the incumbent is required to report to work or remain at work.
• Operators may be required to alternate working hours on all shifts to include weekdays and weekends as well as rotating shifts.
• Incumbent may be required to have an American Red Cross Standard First Aid card, CPR, and/or AED in good standing and/or wear prescribed uniform based on site specific requirements.
• Employees are required to observe established safe working procedures. Appropriate protective clothing and/or equipment is provided to minimize or eliminate hazardous conditions, and its use is mandatory.
• This position is subject to both planned and unscheduled overtime.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required.
However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Lock and Dam Operator~ without more than normal supervision. Ability to perform common tasks including various simple maintenance or repair tasks utilizing mechanical or electrical equipment. Operate simple electrical or mechanical equipment such as lawn mower, hedge clippers, floor buffer, jackhammer, power threader, power wrench. Work under supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who reviews work for completion.- Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
• Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-out Element)
• Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
• Dexterity and Safety
• Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
• Operation of Equipment and Machinery
• Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
• Use of Measuring Instruments
• Physical Effort: Eye and hand coordination for operating various controls and handling lines while observing traffic and personnel, during crane lifting operations, lifting dam gates, etc. There is standing, stooping, bending, occasional lifting in excess of 50 pounds, stretching, working in cramped positions and spaces, handling or maneuvering bulky items or equipment, and general continuous moderate to arduous physical effort required.
• Working Conditions: Preponderance of work is performed outside subject to extremes of temperature and weather. There is exposure to injuries associated with working in restricted areas, occasionally cramped or uncomfortably hot or cold areas, from falling objects, from working with electrical power tools, and from falls while working on lock walls, dam service bridge, etc. While possibility of drowning exists as a result of falls while working around water, hazard is practically eliminated through observance of safety procedures and use of safety equipment. During maintenance operations is occasionally exposed to unpleasant fumes, dust, etc.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
• Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal
employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
• You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
• Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
• Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
• This is a Career Program (CP) 18 - Engineer and Scientist position.
• Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
• Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
• Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
• Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above. Once the announcement has closed, a review of resume will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection
process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.
Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.