Academic Success CoachUNIVERSITY OF KANSAS COLLEGE & PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL
Academic Success Coach
College of Liberal Arts & Sci
The College Outreach & Online Programs (CO-OP) office reports to the Dean’s office of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. CO-OP is responsible for recruitment and outreach to prospective undergraduate freshmen and transfer students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and School of the Arts, as well as recruitment, on-boarding, and academic coaching of students in the College Online programs. The Academic Success Coach for the College Online reports to the Director of College Outreach & Online Programs.
The Academic Success Coach works with prospective and current students in the College Online programs, as well as on-campus students pursuing the Liberal Arts & Sciences, BGS degree. College Online students are from a variety of backgrounds and are typically transfer students, readmitted KU students, or on-campus KU students switching to online. While the College Online does offer programs exclusively online, including online student success services, our program strives to mirror the traditional KU experience, offering online student success services to guide students with integrity on the program best fit for their goals. Academic Success Coaches have a close working relationship with their College Online students in order to best advise them on enrollment and enhanced learning experiences that are balanced with the students’ other responsibilities.
The Academic Success Coach works closely with the faculty of online courses to better understand the curriculum and course design which helps guide their students. They use student success tools and their knowledge of a student’s obligations to proactively support each student and help them make degree progress. They also connect with colleagues at local and regional community colleges to build pathways for students and ensure the needs of transfer students both online and on-campus are being met.
Support for the Liberal Arts & Sciences-BGS students on campus currently operates similarly to traditional on-campus enrollment advising. This Academic Success Coach position will be responsible for improving the outreach and support to these students to increase campus engagement, awareness of resources, and post-graduation preparation.
This position works with students in-person, over the phone, and sometimes through Skype/Zoom. The majority of communication occurs over email making written communication skills imperative.
The Academic Success Coach conducts their work from a social justice perspective to ensure equity in their outreach and support to students to continue building a more diverse KU where post-traditional students can thrive. They work collaboratively with their colleagues in CO-OP and across campus, as well as independently.
50% Academic Success Coaching for the College Online
- Outreach to prospective College Online student inquiries, which involves explaining the program, learning about the student’s goals, and determining if our programs will be a good fit.
- Conduct tentative transfer credit evaluations for prospective students using the Credit Transfer website, and through communication with the transfer credit team in KU Admissions.
- Review applicants for admission to the College Online and on-board new students to the program.
- Work with new and continuing students to understand their goals, and also their current responsibilities to help best advise them into classes.
- Generate degree plans that are flexible and represent how best to utilize 8-week courses, and demonstrate time toward degree depending on how the student plans to progress through coursework.
- Conduct proactive outreach to all students in the advisors cohort and help students navigate challenges to prevent dropping and withdrawals.
- Provide personalized and empathetic support to students as needed.
- Answer emails and phone calls from prospective and current students with a 24-48 hour turnaround when possible.
- Liaise with the College Advising & Student Support office to ensure the on-campus Liberal Arts & Sciences-BGS program is aligned with advising in other on-campus programs.
- Meet with prospective LA&S-BGS students to determine if this is the best pathway for them, which involves taking a close look at their academic record, exploring their interests, and using knowledge of programs offered in the College.
- Advise LA&S-BGS students each semester for enrollment support.
- Occasionally attend new transfer student orientation on-campus to provide enrollment assistance to new KU students pursuing LA&S-BGS.
- Create and conduct strategic outreach to LA&S-BGS students to ensure they stay connected to campus, are aware of resources, and future career pathways.
- Provide support for the transfer credit team in KU Admissions as needed.
- Create transfer guides for common transfer pathways for the College Online.
- Liaise with key partners at local and regional community colleges to ensure they are aware of the College Online programs, and ensure our materials are helping their students choose KU’s online programs.
- Provide guidance to the Director and Assistant Director of CO-OP on outreach and support services provided to the students our office serves.
- Occasionally provide support to the recruitment team in CO-OP.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with minimum of three years of experiences OR Master’s degree with minimum of one year of experience in academic advising, coaching, admissions or student success in an institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated dedication to providing support and guidance to others, and ability to connect with others through strong interpersonal communications skills, as evidenced by letter of application and information from references.
- Experience with transcript evaluation, application processing, and/or student information systems, as evidenced by application materials.
- Effective written communication skills, as evidenced by application materials.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently while equally being able to work in teams and collaborate, as demonstrated by application materials.
- Demonstrated passion for education and ensuring equity and inclusion in education, as evidenced by application materials.
- Master's degree in Higher Education, Student Personnel, Counseling, Advising or a related area of student development.
- Demonstrated experience working with adult, transfer, or online students in a higher education setting.
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft or related student information systems.
- Previous experience with CRM (constituent/customer relationship management) systems.
- Demonstrated work experience with student records and compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Demonstrated skills in inter-institutional collaborative projects or relationship development
For Complete Information and Apply please visit: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25752&siteid=5541&AReq=14877BR#jobDetails=3834094_5541