Security Patrol Officer
University of Charleston Charleston, WV Full-time Other
Posted on June 4, 2022
The University of Charleston is seeking a Security Patrol Officer.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Documentation and initial investigation of all reported crime related incidents, car accidents, personal injuries, industrial or employee accidents, suspicious activity, Homeland Security concerns etc.
- Assist all law enforcement agencies and emergency personnel called upon to assist the university. (Mutual aid agreement in place with local agencies)
- Accurate documentation of all incidents and activity required by the U. S. Dept. of Education for campus crime reporting purposes.
- Routine day and night patrols of all campus property (both foot and vehicle patrols). Special patrols and or extra patrols may also be designated for specific locations based on events and activity.
- Confronting and removing offenders or trespassers from the campus community.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Walking and/or Running
- Regularly required to stand; walk; sit; stoop, kneel and crouch
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear
- The employee is occasionally required to lift and move up to 25 pounds
- Employee will be required to work outdoors for extended periods of times with exposure to both hot and cold ambient temperatures
- Employee may be required take action during and emergency situation to include violent encounters with suspects
- Daily lock up and opening of university buildings, designated classrooms and offices
- Parking and traffic enforcement
- Extra patrol assignments to deal with large events, crowds and parking concerns
- Special surveillance assignments as directed
- Daily visual inspection of grounds and buildings during routine patrol to determine any existing fire hazards, safety issues and immediate maintenance concerns to be reported to Facilities
- Extra patrol at sporting events with escorts for coaches & referees as required by collegiate rules
- Courtesy calls to assist people locked out of their car, office, with dead car batteries etc.
- Note: when officers are tied up on routine security functions, courtesy calls will be addressed if and when officers become available
- Bank escorts for the university as needed
- Completion of all mandatory security/law enforcement job related training and other training as required
- Must have a valid driver’s license with no serious traffic offenses in the last 7 – 9 years for the following violations:
- Reckless Driving
- Leaving the Scene
- Hit and Run
- If not certified, – eventual certification with the ASP tactical baton, Pepper Spray, Taser, CPR, AED, Basic First Aid and all required levels of NIMS
- Other duties as assigned