Monday-Friday, 8 am-2:30 pm - flexible hours.
To provide Administrative support to the Pastor, staff, and Church committees. To maintain files, answer telephones, act as receptionist and assist in all areas required to assure that church functions run smoothly.
To act as receptionist and provide information concerning the functioning of the church.
A. Answer the telephone and greet people who come into the church.
B. Open Church mail and direct it to the proper person or answer it at his/her discretion.
C. Prepare correspondence and dictation for Pastor, and various committees.
D. Develop and maintain filing system for church office and assist in maintaining and developing the pastor's files.
E. Act as Communication Coordinator
1.Distribute conference mailings
2.Coordinate publicity for church events
3.Schedule use of church sanctuary, halls, kitchen, etc.
4. As requested act as hostess, make coffee, and prepare posters and charts for various events.
5. Provide communications to Newspapers as needed.
6. Notify Committees and Officers of meetings
7. Direct information to Lisa for weekly newsletter Journey Notes
8. Coordinate use of volunteers for mailings, typing, etc.
F. Prepare and coordinate Sunday Bulletin.
G. Maintain office supplies
H. To assist staff with all administrative support needs i.e. copying or mailing
I. Create and maintain computer database information
J. Attend weekly staff meetings
Assist in Maintaining Financial Records:
A. Help Financial Secretary prepare financial statements
B. Mail Financial Statements regularly
C. Count Offering with Financial Secretary
To maintain Church Records and Official Reports
A. Maintain Church membership records in official membership book.
B. Record weddings, Baptisms, Deaths, and new Members
C. Maintain Church calendar
D. Prepare certificates for Baptism, Confirmation, Teacher Appreciation, etc.
E. Assist new members
1. Call or write prospective members to invite to new members to new member classes.
2. Write letters requesting transfer of new members.
3. Make out transfer forms for our new members
4. Inform committees and groups of prospective new members.
F. Prepare Annual reports for Charge Conference and end of the year reports
G. Prepare list of Givers and their offering boxes.
H. Revise and Prepare Membership Directory on computer, official membership book, family record system, and pastor's record book.
H. Print UMW program directories annually
I. Collect and Report Vital Congregation statistics
A. Record Church Attendance and Visitors
B. Train Secretary Substitute
C. Add announcements to Easy Worship and assist with inputting the information for Easy Worship as needed
Freedom to Act: The Church Secretary generally acts under the supervision of the Pastor but is required to pass on information at her own discretion. There are many situations that the secretary is the only person available and she needs to make determinations of whether to refer, ask for direction or to complete tasks herself. The Church Secretary must maintain confidential information.
Relationships: The Church Secretary is required to work very closely with the Pastor, Ministry Coordinator, and Youth and Childrens Director and this requires an ability for teamwork. The Church Secretary will also receive assignments from many different committee members and officers and needs to be flexible in working with many different styles and requests. The Church Secretary is often the first person who sees new members and it is essential that he/she represents the church as friendly, dignified and concerned. The Church Secretary should have a Christian belief and support the ministries of the United Methodist Church.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- One year of post high school clerical training or an equivalent amount of experience.
- An understanding of word processing, database management, and publication design and formatting.
- An eye for detail and the ability to be concise and accurate in all communications.
- An ability to be friendly and understanding towards many different people and the challenges and problems they present.
- Basic understanding of Reception, Filing, and General Clerical duties.