Town of Vail
• Financial Analyst
$60K - $68K
This position collaborates with Finance Director and Financial Services Manager on annual budget process, long-term financial planning, and on-going budget analysis for the Town of Vail and all component units.
The Town of Vail is now hiring a Financial Analyst. This position collaborates with Finance Director and Financial Services Manager on annual budget process, long-term financial planning, and on-going budget analysis for the Town of Vail and all component units. Assures all revenue and expenditure items are appropriately budgeted and accounted for in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Responsible for the preparation of the annual budget book, as well as financial reports for Town Council and external publication.
Financial Analyst job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with the Financial Services Manager in administering the budget process. This position is responsible for budget timetable creation, participating in departmental budget reviews, preparing budget worksheets and fund statements.
- Manages the midcycle and annual Council Contribution process, including online application functionality, tracking, reviewing and summarizing all submitted applications. Host meeting with the internal contribution committee to finalize funding recommendations for Town Council.
- Document and track in-kind contributions provided by the town to special events and other organizations.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual budget book for the Town of Vail and all component units. Implements improvements to the town’s budget book in order to obtain GFOA Distinguished Budget Presentation Award.
- Assists the Financial Services Manager in preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Integrate financial planning and asset tracking/equipment tracking with the Asset Management System in public works. Coordinate with departments that need to track smaller equipment (IT for example).
- Maintain capital project update reports for Town Council and senior management by coordinating with public works, housing and other departments.
- Maintain Finance Department website content and work with Financial Services Manager to create improvements to transparency and “dashboard” presentations for the public.
- Prepares financial documents required for legal reporting of budgets, grants, and financial statements to the federal government, State of Colorado, Eagle County, and others.
- Adheres to and maintains appropriate financial systems, policies, and procedures to assure proper budgeting and financial reporting.
- Reviews and monitors monthly accounting reports for proper accounting treatment; identifies and corrects errors; analyzes budget variances; prepares adjusting journal entries as needed; advises management of any budget issues and recommends resolution. Assists in directing staff in proper accounting treatment and journal entry preparation.
- Responsible for monthly project reconciliations and monitoring project budgets.
- Trains department representatives in the use of the town’s financial systems, reporting tools and financial processes.
- Prepares miscellaneous reports such as Road & Bridge Highway Report, a variety of census reports, Colorado Municipal League surveys, Federal Certification reporting, etc.
- Assists in monitoring contract accounting with the Accounts Receivable function to ensure proper amounts and timing of billings for those contracts/leases. Assists in monitoring outstanding receivables.
- Various reconciliations, including retainage amounts withheld on large construction projects, deposits held for developers (street cut, public way permits, developer improvement agreements).
- Monitoring and reconciliation of Construction Use Tax collected by the town.
- Maintains fixed asset records for all town assets.
- Responsible for financial reporting and budgeting for Vail Local Marketing District, a component unit of the town.
Skills / Requirements
Vail is a guest service oriented and resort destination community. We realize that to set the standard for world-class alpine resorts, our employees make all the difference! That is why we are looking for passionate individuals who strive for excellence in all that they do. Qualified applicants must be...
In addition they must meet the following requirements:
- Three to five years of relevant accounting and financial management experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree with major course work in Accounting;
- Requires strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Advanced personal computer skills (especially Microsoft Excel) and experience using financial systems is required.
- Knowledge of accounting functions such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, cost accounting, etc. is preferred.
Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both in writing and verbally.
Qualified applicants must be self-motivated with excellent communication skills and enjoy working in a team environment.
- Experience in a public accounting firm and/or government accounting preferred.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices (GAAP) and governmental accounting is preferred.