Director of Public WorksTown of Thurmont
Town Of Thurmont
Director Of Public Works
Scope of work – This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and manages the work program and operations of the Town of Thurmont Division of Public Works including: municipal water and sewer distribution, streets, utility systems, municipal electric service, and parks. This position involves planning, organizing, directing, supervising, and reporting on all aspects of the town’s public works operations.
Note: Superintendent license and certifications for the Water and Wastewater Departments is not required for this position.
Critical duties include:
• Manage and supervise the operations of the Division of Public Works including providing direction to superintendents and supervisors; prepare annual performance evaluations for superintendents and supervisors; approve performance evaluations of public works staff.
• Coordinates the planning and implementation of the public works capital improvement program.
• Develops specifications and bid documents for public works construction and maintenance projects.
• Consults with the Chief Administrative Officer and prepares reports as required concerning Public Works operations, i.e. project schedule, progress of jobs, workforce performance, equipment requirements, etc.
• Creates project requirements; writes project specifications; recommends contract awards; coordinates, reviews and approves contractor’s performance.
• Works with Public Works superintendents and supervisors, the Chief Administrative Officer, and the Chief Financial Officer to formulate annual budget submission for the division and the various operating funds.
• Works with Town Planner, Zoning & Utilities Inspector, and other planning and zoning staff to review submitted site plans, subdivision plans, and improvement plans for compliance to town standards and specifications; oversight of Public Works Agreements with developers/builders.
• Works productively with contractors and other government agencies.
• Provides effective customer service through positive interaction with the public.
• Responds to after-hours emergencies when necessary.
• Assists with special projects and other duties as assigned by the Chief Administrative Officer.
• Graduation from high school required.
• Further education including college, trades or professional schools preferred, but not required.
• Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in public works operations including at least four (4) of the following functions:
o utilities construction and installation
o municipal water distribution systems
o wastewater distribution systems
o municipal electric service
o public streets and parks
• Ability to read and interpret plans and construction documents.
• This position must be knowledgeable with applicable local, state and federal regulatory rules and regulations.
• This position must be familiar with the Town of Thurmont Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, and Construction Standards (obtained after employment)
• This position must be able to work outside in differing weather conditions, as well as in an inside office environment.
• Must possess a valid Class “C” driver’s license.
Salary Range & Benefits:
• $60,000 - $85,000 per year (starting salary dependent upon qualifications and experience)
• Comprehensive Benefits Package including Health Insurance, Vision, Dental
• Maryland State Retirement
• Accrued Vacation and Sick Leave; Personal Day; & Paid Holidays
• Take Home Vehicle
The Town of Thurmont provides a comprehensive benefits package for all employees and is a drug free work environment. Prospective employees must pass a pre-employment drug test and a physical.