Heavy Equipment Operator
Benefits provided after 30 days of employment, including health, vacation, sick and life insurance.
The primary purpose of the position is to operate and maintain heavy, motorized equipment used for snow removal, road grading, dirt hauling and ditch mowing, as needed, following, commonly accepted job performance practices, necessary safety guidelines and relevant policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required and may not include all duties performed by the individual. To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Operating a motor grader to perform maintenance and construction of gravel surfaces for roadways, parking lots and various sites.
- Loading dump trucks with sand, gravel, blacktop, demolition debris, other construction related materials, and snow using a front end loader.
- Operating a motor grader to plow snow from roadways and parking lots.
- Operating a sanding/dump truck for sanding of roadways and parking lots (operate standard transmission)
- Driving a dump truck to deliver sand, gravel, blacktop, demolition debris or construction related materials and snow to designated sites.
- Performing routine daily maintenance activities in the Road and Bridge Department including patching streets, placement of barricades, pickup and collection of trash and litter, cleaning of ditches and culverts, installation of culverts, steaming of culverts, loading and unloading of equipment and materials from trucks.
- Performing routine building maintenance activities including sweeping, mopping, painting and general carpentry work.
- Performing routine roadway maintenance activities including top-soiling, seeding, sodding, raking, shoveling, and brush-cutting.
- Performing routine equipment maintenance such as daily inspections, oil changes, lubrication and other operator related maintenance.
- Responding to emergency situations such as floods, windstorms, snow emergencies, broken waterlines, sewer system issues, major accidents and other street related problems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Class "A" Driver's License
- Ability to lift/move 50 pounds frequently; occasionally lift/move 100 pounds
- Ability to read and understand written correspondence, memos, and equipment manuals
- Ability to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and the general public
- Ability to carryout instructions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Able to respond to emergencies within 30 minutes, in adverse weather conditions/road conditions, i.e. heavy snow, rain, ice
Desirable Training and Experience:
- Knowledge of applicable work safety standards and/or first aid measures
- Good verbal and written communications skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize, schedule and complete tasks with little supervision
- Ability to operate heavy equipment (motorized grader, front end loader, excavator, backhoe/loader, brush mower tractor)
- Ability to operate light equipment (mower, snow blower, power tools, hand tools)
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, tools, materials and equipment used in street construction, maintenance and repair.
- Ability to present oneself in a favorable manner to the public
- Ability to keep good records
- Basic knowledge of carpentry
- Basic mechanical ability
Apply by 4:00 pm October 23, 2020 to be considered.