Summer Camp Rec Aides/Seasonal Maint WorkersTown of Steilacoom
Looking For A Summer Job?
Town of Steilacoom
Seasonal Maintenance Workers
1/6 mo. position & 4/3 mo. positions.
Positions assigned by 4/1/19
Background/Physical Req. $15.87 Hr.
Summer Camp Recreation Aides
10 Positions: June-Aug.
Positions assigned by 5/1/19
Background Req. $13.42 Hr.
Position Title: Recreation Aide (Before School / After School / 2/18
Junior Explorer / Summer Camp Programs)
Basic Function: Supervise, monitor, evaluate, and assess program participants.
Direct and participate in program appropriate activities.
Reports To: Youth Recreation Leader
Supervises: Program Participants
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supervises program participants. Observes and monitors participant activities.
2. Strives to maintain a safe program environment.
3. Communicates appropriately with children in all situations.
4. Compiles participant assessments, and communicates with parents regarding
5. Directs/participates in all program appropriate activities to include arts/crafts, sports,
games, drama, music, hiking, and/or swimming.
6. Provides additional program support to include assisting in curriculum
development, snack preparation, set up, and clean up.
7. Provides active support to Town customers, citizens, and coworkers while
displaying a positive work attitude.
8. Takes action on directions/suggestions from the supervisor.
9. Adheres to appropriate workplace attire.
10. Performs similar and incidental duties as assigned.
Duties as listed above are illustrations of the types of work that may be performed in the position.
Omission of specific statement of duties does not provide an exclusion if the work performed is
similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The job description may be subject to change
by the employer as the needs of the employer and/or requirements of the job change.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
1. Skilled at following multi-step directions/suggestions.
2. Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
3. Ability to communicate clearly/appropriately with adults and children.
4. Ability to organize and plan work effectively.
5. Ability to lead/direct children of all ages/ability levels providing accommodation
6. Ability to actively participate with children during recreational activities.
7. Have knowledge of and display appropriate workplace attire.
1. High school graduation/GED equivalent.
2. One year experience working with elementary age children in a structured program.
3. CPR and Basic First Aid Certification (may be obtained within an agreed/specified period).
4. Food Handler’s License (may be obtained within an agreed/specified period).
5. Washington State Driver’s License / Good driving record.
Frequent walking, running, standing, sitting, squatting, kneeling, pushing, pulling, and
moving/lifting up to 30 pounds. Occasionally transport and set-up equipment tables
and chairs. Frequent interaction with children in physical exercise, sports, and games
(summer camp program requires constant interaction in these activities). The incumbent
must be able to traverse uneven terrain as activities are frequently conducted in an
outdoor environment. May occasionally drive a van for local field trips.
Worksite includes indoor/outdoor areas at Cherrydale School or the Steilacoom
Community Center and may change based on program needs/planned activities and
fieldtrips. Incumbent may, on occasion, be asked to substitute for an absent employee.
Immediate application submission encouraged.
Applications at www.townofsteilacoom.org or call (253) 983-2590.
Application Procedure: Submit a resume and Town of Steilacoom application to: Town of Steilacoom, Human Resources, 2301 Worthington Street, Steilacoom, Washington 98388. Please note on the application the position for which you are applying. Applications are also available online at www.townofsteilacoom.org or may be obtained by calling the jobline at (253) 983-2590. Those applicants whose qualifications most closely correspond to the Town’s needs may be selected to appear before an interview panel. Successful candidates must pass a background check.