Richmond, Virginia (Hybrid)
The Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP) is seeking a Cartographer to create and maintain cartographic products that help clients and staff understand the strengths of Virginia as a business location and secure new jobs and investment for the Commonwealth. One of the few state economic development organizations with an in-house GIS team, VEDP is on the forefront of using cartography and other data visuals to develop compelling client materials.
- Engage with sales managers, marketing staff, research staff, and other internal stakeholders to understand project needs
- Create custom, on-brand maps that communicate a strong visual message with the best available data
- Maintain suite of high-quality maps in VEDP’s Marketing Resources Database, including upkeep of some underlying datasets
- Collaborate with the Lead Cartographer on the creation and evolution of cartographic standards within the VEDP brand
- Perform GIS functions such as spatial and logistical analyses, as needed
- Provide data visualization insight and create high-quality visuals beyond map-making, as needed
- Act as a subject matter expert on GIS Team capabilities and cartography, as needed on project teams
Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills):
- Strong cartographic skills
- Ability to use ArcGIS Pro to render sophisticated, accurate, and user-friendly maps
- Understanding of the practices and principles of visual hierarchy in cartography; practical knowledge of layout and design of production-quality maps; and strong understanding of available tools and data formats in ArcGIS
- Keen attention to detail, particularly in cartographic design and data accuracy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in working projects in a highly collaborative, multi-disciplined team environment
- Ability to maintain core branding by editing and replicating established maps, as well as creating original maps that meet standards and fulfill client needs
- Understanding of relational databases and geospatial data management best practices
- Innate curiosity for new subject matter and motivation to sharpen technical skills and bring new and innovative ideas to the team
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of products with an emphasis on PowerPoint and Excel
- Strong candidates will have familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite, Python, SQL, ArcGIS Online, and/or data visualization outside of map-making
- Coursework in GIS, Cartography, Geography, Information Systems, Urban Studies, or another related field preferred
Read more about cartography at VEDP at gis.vedp.org/pages/about-cartography.
All candidates must apply through our website https://www.vedp.org/careers Examples of cartographic work must be provided when applying to be considered. A skills test will be required as part of the interview process.
Minimum salary: $50,000; salary and final position title commensurate with experience. Application deadline: September 16, 2022.
VEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or against otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities. It is VEDP’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applicants requiring more information or requiring assistance may contact VEDP Human Resources at 1-804-545-5634 or vedphr@VEDP.org. TDD 1-800-828-1120.