Communications/ Marketing ManagerThe Upper Yampa Water District
The Upper Yampa Water Conservancy District has a unique opportunity to play a key role in helping to highlight the value that we bring to the Public. This position will be the public face of Upper Yampa Water District. In this role you will prepare and deliver multi-media messaging that increases use of our services and educates our Public on the important water services the Upper Yampa Water Conservancy District provides.
This position is located in scenic Steamboat Springs, with easy access to all the activities and events the Colorado lifestyle provides. The Yampa Valley in Northwest Colorado is home to productive agriculture, significant energy resources, beautiful public lands, small town living, and world class skiing. This position will report to the General Manager and serve as lead for two District "departments, Public Information and External Affairs. Communications and marketing duties will revolve primarily around these departments, including developing their budgets and implementing projects. Management of contractors and consultants in various capacities will be necessary. The Public Information department includes, communications/marketing and grant administration. External Affairs may include lobbying efforts.
Essential functions: This position requires the ability to lift 30 pounds of instructional materials and may lead field trips to District facilities, therefore the candidate should be comfortable working in remote areas and be able to hike over steep terrain.
Key role in the development and maintenance of strategy and budgets for the Public Information and External Affairs departments.
Coordinates with all concerned parties to guarantee adequate planning, execution and monitoring of communication activities.
Develops marketing activities by demonstrating expertise in various areas (content development and optimization, advertising, events planning, etc.).
Provides recommendations for future communication/marketing initiatives through sound policy and financial analysis.
- Plans and executes initiatives to reach the target audience through appropriate channels (social media, e-mail, press releases, presentations, etc.).
- Writes content for websites and coordinates its posting.
- Plans events, seminars and press conferences.
- Communicates with media.
- Builds long-term relationships with influencers and key stakeholders.
- Conducts market research to find answers about customer requirements, habits and trends.
- Participates on strategy teams and supports staff in developing grant applications, budgets and contract requirements.
- Manages administration of the grant cycle from application to closing; ensures that grant requirements are met, and payments are appropriate.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To Be Successful In This Position You Will Have:
- In-depth knowledge of communications and marketing processes and best practices.
- Knowledge of Colorado water issues.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated fiscal management skills, including budget management, developing and maintaining appropriate controls.
- Experience with grant administration including development of policies and procedures.
- Proven track record of successful project management, with examples.
- Outstanding interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- A Bachelors degree or advanced degree along with commensurate work experience in business, marketing, communications or related field.
Salary Range: $5,100 to 7,800 per month depends on experience. Hiring range maximum is typically midpoint of the salary range.
The Upper Yampa Water Conservancy District, a public entity, was formed in 1966 under the Water Conservancy Act. It owns and operates Yamcolo and Stagecoach Reservoirs, collectively the largest stored water portfolio in the Yampa River Basin. As such the District is active in water resources issues locally and throughout the Colorado River Basin. The District is seeking a qualified and experienced individual to help communicate the Districts mission and market its services to the Public. This position will help develop and maintain approaches to communicate the District activities to, and receive input from, District constituents. The District is committed to increasing its recognition in the community and more effectively marketing its services, including stored water, to citizens, public agencies, and non-profit groups. Future communication projects include improvements to the Districts website, drafting press releases and community presentations. Grant programs and their administration will include both grants to the District and grant programs from the District to constituents. Marketing will include the Districts water augmentation programs as well as other possible water and power sales. The External Affairs role will center on other communication with stakeholders in areas of public policy that impact the District and its constituents.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.