Graphic Designer / Layout CoordinatorThe Oakland Press
Graphic Designer / Layout Coordinator
Description: The Oakland Press has an immediate opening for a full time Graphic Designer / Layout Coordinator in our Prepress Hub. The Layout Coordinator/Graphic Artist will be responsible for laying out Digital First Media publications including newspaper, shoppers, classified sections and more.
Job Responsibilities: Include but not limited to the following list and the employee may be asked to perform other duties as needed.
- Designs/builds newspaper advertisements/spec ads/flyers and special section covers.
- Ability to paginate/flow copy for special sections
- Layout of Classified pages and obitituaries
- Newspaper layout using Brainworks and PGL (Page Layout) ensuring ads are dummied accurately in accordance with color positions and special placement requests.
- Accurately determine product size following advertising to editorial ratios for newspaper layout.
- Communicate with editorial and printing press departments to ensure that color positions and page counts are correct for the publications.
- Strong computer skills in both Mac and PC platforms.
- 2+ years experience using Indesign and Photoshop
- Works independently and under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work well with others and to follow through with close attention to detail
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems
- Experience with Brainworks, PGL (Page Layout) preferred but not required.
- Must be able to work all shifts including Holidays and weekends
- Associates Degree or similar experience We offer competitive compensation and a complete benefits package including medical/dental/life insurance, 401(k), and paid vacations.