Graphic Designer / Layout CoordinatorThe Oakland Press
Graphic Designer / Layout Coordinator
Full Time Description: The Oakland Press has an immediate opening for a full time Graphic Designer / Layout Coordinator in our Prepress Hub. The Layout Coordinator/Graphic Artist will be responsible for laying out Digital First Media publications including newspaper, shoppers, classified sections and more.
Include but not limited to the following list and the employee may be asked to perform other duties as needed.
- Designs/builds newspaper advertisements/spec ads/flyers and special section covers.
- Ability to paginate/flow copy for special sections
- Layout of Classified pages and obitituaries
- Newpaper layout using Brainworks and PGL (Page Layout) ensuring ads are dummied accurately in accordance with color positions and special placement requests.
- Accurately determine product size following advertising to editorial ratios for newspaper layout.
- Communicate with editorial and printing press departments to ensure that color positions and page counts are correct for the publications.
- Strong computer skills in both Mac and PC platforms.
- 2+ years experience using Indesign and Photoshop
- Works independently and under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work well with others and to follow through with close attention to detail
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems
- Experience with Brainworks, PGL (Page Layout) preferred but not required.
- Must be able to work all shifts including Holidays and weekends
- Associates Degree or similar experience
We offer competitive compensation and a complete benefits package including medical/dental/life insurance, 401(k), and paid vacations.