PM Front of House Manager (Restaurant Management)The Midway
The Midway is a one of a kind space, dedicated to bringing art, entertainment, and education under one synergistic & collaborative roof. If you want to be part of something truly special and unique that taps into San Francisco’s creativity, The Midway might be the place for you.
In conjunction with the Culinary Director and Executive Chef, the PM Front of House Manager (FOH Mgr) is responsible for providing a highly exemplary and personal level of guest service. The FOH Mgr is also responsible for all aspects of cafe operations and the smooth running of the floor, including ascetics, cash management, staff scheduling, on shift instruction and evaluation, facilities management, and a myriad of other tasks that arise on a daily basis. During closing shifts the FOH Mgr reconciles all cash at the end of the day and is responsible for insuring the successful close of the cafe. The FOH Mgr serves as the service leader for the cafe. The PM FOH Mgr runs 4-5 cafe shifts each week Wednesday-Sunday, but maybe asked to assist on corporate catering or other special events. Specifically, the FOH Mgr will assist in the programming and execution of evening Entertainment Kitchen events.
- Supports and promotes the The Midway service vision at all times
- Builds relationships with staff, vendors, and guests
- Demonstrates effective salesmanship while on the floor. Teaches salesmanship to floor staff
- Authorize service staff breaks.
- Allocate resources as needed
- Coaches staff—critiquing their work and recognizing great performance—during every shift
- Ensure that cafe is running smoothly and maintaining the appropriate aesthetics (“eat with your eyes first!”) and service level
- Participate in the day-to-day planning of business. Set goals and directives for each shift.
AESTHETICS AND DISPLAY
- Ensure that overall cafe appearance is exceptional.
- Play an active role in creating and organizing ambiance around the cafe.
• Monitor volume and content of music playing at all times.
• Follow closing walk-through procedures each night
• Properly lock up all entrances to the store and set the alarm.
• Re-set the bank and all tills at the end of the day accurately and thoroughly.
• Manage cash drops, deposits and change runs
SAFETY AND SECURITY
• Supervise the operation of cafe equipment such as the registers, cooking equipment, seating, etc.
- Maintain The Midway’s safety and sanitation program
- Promote an atmosphere of safety.
• Monitor maintenance of cafe equipment. Troubleshoot as able or delegate to appropriate maintenance technician.
• Assist in managing the POS system and training users.
• Troubleshoot any problems that arise with the POS
Additional responsibilities not detailed in this job description may be added by the general manager after discussion with the M.O.D.
Educational Requirements: College degree preferred
Experience: A demonstrated commitment to service as a culture and to sustainability; a devotion to food and wine. Minimum of two years management experience with hire and fire responsibility.
Physical Requirements: Continuous standing, walking, sitting and carrying/transporting of less than 15 lbs.; occasional climbing, stooping, twisting and fine manipulation; intermittent bending, reaching, and carrying/transporting of 15-50 lbs. Occasional environmental exposure to cold, heat and water; and rare exposure to dust and fumes.
Skill Requirements: Exceptional people skills, ability to put employees at ease, ability to achieve goals through others. Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Language: Fluent English required (spoken and written) / Spanish spoken language skills preferred.
License: Drivers license