REPORTER JOB DESCRIPTION
The Southeast Iowa Union is a 5-day-per-week, regional newspaper searching for a reporter to cover stories throughout Southeast Iowa including the county seat communities of Fairfield, Mt. Pleasant, and Washington.
Our newest team member will be aggressive, hard-working, and a self-starter willing to work together as a team to produce exciting print and digital news products. You will cover a wide variety of topics, from government meetings to community celebrations throughout Southeast Iowa. We are a part of a progressive print and digital media company including the Southeast Iowa Union as well as our parent company, the Gazette in Cedar Rapids.
Summary: Gathers and writes a variety of news and features stories across a variety of topics and works to engage readers across our print and digital publications in innovative ways. This reporter should be comfortable covering an ongoing news story as they are writing a great feature story or diving into a regional enterprise story. This position provides content for online and print platforms for multiple entities.
- Strong understanding of putting intermediate topics into context and writing clearly and concisely. Tracks trends on topical area and develops and cultivates sources (i.e. people, records, databases, etc.) across a wide variety of interests.
- Maintains a list of story ideas relevant to readers with emphasis on original enterprise stories that set an agenda for the city, county and/or region. Takes ownership of topical area(s). Is recognized as the in-house expert in topical area of expertise.
- Uses solid news judgement, strong writing skills to frame stories to local and regional audiences.
- Can shoot video and still pictures while gathering proper facts and details. May be responsible for performing basic video editing and web publishing.
- Can complete basic audio recordings, edit and post to topical websites.
- Identifies opportunities for using a variety of ways of storytelling (video, audio, pictures, text, etc.) and regularly finds opportunities to put the ideas into practice.
- Demonstrates proficiency in using existing and new tools to gather, display and report content and also present news in context. Attends training to learn and apply these tools.
- Adheres to all professional and company policies and ethical standards.
Job skills & attributes: Must be a flexible, self-motivated, creative go-getter and problem solver who works well on a team with varying abilities. Must display technical aptitude and have strong ability to write and report well and distill complex subjects into understandable, accessible elements. Must have empathy and toughness and be a good listener. Must work well with others and be attentive to follow-up with sources and customers. Candidate possesses basic video and photography skills, but always has desire to learn new skills.
Minimum Requirements: Undergraduate degree in journalism, English or related course of study. Must have valid driver's license and history of safe driving habits. Must demonstrate ability to work quickly and accurately and must have ideas on how to present news in an ever-changing media landscape. Some video, photography skills are preferred.
Salary: Regular/Hourly 40 hours. Benefits available including health, dental, vision, 401k and more.
EOE pre-screening drug and background tests required