Direct Support Staff
Must be willing and able to work primarily overnight, evening and weekend shifts with some day shifts possible, based on the needs of the program. This position mandates various shift assignments, operating on a 24 hours per day, seven days per week schedule where employees are subject to both voluntary and involuntary overtime.
- Provides services in a manner that supports the cultural affiliations of the program participant.
- Assists in implementing and monitoring the progress of habilitation goals that are program participant specific, strength based, outcome oriented and relevant to the program participant’s everyday life.
- Ensures documentation of program participant progress is accurate, professional and completed in the required timeframes.
- Documents progress of Individual Support Plan outcomes on the daily census log.
- Accompanies program participants to medical appointments/treatment. Must be prepared to provide accurate and objectively determined relevant information to the physician or practitioner.
- Assist program participants to deal more effectively with situations that affect their ability to actively participate in habilitation programs within the program and the community. These situations include but are not limited to behavioral issues and concerns, interpersonal relationships and community responsibilities.
- Empowers program participants to exercise their civil rights through advocacy, education and guidance. This will aid the individual in assuming a more active role in decision making in his/her own life.
- Provides services in accordance with the principles of Normalization, Positive Approaches, and the principles elaborated in Everyday Lives.
- Provides social and recreational activities, both at the residential program and within the community.
- High School Diploma/GED equivalent