Epidemiologist 1 #149Spokane Regional Human Resources
Job #149 Epidemiologist 1
1 Full time opening in Disease Prevention & Response.
Serves the community and protects the public's health through coordination of epidemiological investigation for acute and chronic communicable diseases. Coordinates and conducts all aspects of epidemiological investigation, treatment or prophylaxis, disease mitigation and case/contact follow up for acute and chronic communicable diseases, including but not limited to the Notifiable Conditions as described in WAC 246-101. Provides education, training and case investigation support to colleagues across eastern WA. Serves as a consultant and educator to the healthcare provider community regarding reporting requirements, treatment and laboratory testing using independent judgement under general supervision.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Epidemiology, Health Sciences, Public Health or closely related field.
- Two years of experience in infection control, epidemiology, disease investigation or a medical field. Four years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree. Some demonstrated experience in emergency response and planning is desirable, preferably in public health.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license and current automobile insurance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Must be capable of setting priorities and working under pressure
- Skills in collecting and shipping lab samples/specimens.
- Skill in communicating effectively within a sometimes stressful environment.
- Ability to read, understand, explain, and apply medical terms, basic disease control and prevention fundamentals, including discussion of medical journal articles and explanation of important aspects of disease control.
- Ability to think through a complex situation, investigate, manage and formulate appropriate and thorough recommendations with limited input from program manager.
- Ability to anticipate problems and problem solve in the field and office.
- Ability to formulate recommendations and correspondence i.e. health advisories and letters, incorporating concise and accurate concepts of exposures, risk, infectious period, incubation period.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize cases and caseload in order to complete investigations thoroughly, accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Ability to enter information into computer system while interviewing case.
- Ability to analyze, summarize and interpret information pertaining to disease control investigations including outbreaks.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous self-education, training, and skill-building; this includes the ability and initiative to find and read technical references.
- Ability to work with diverse clientele.
- Ability to respond to emergency recall.
- Ability to share on-call responsibilities with entirety of CD Epi team for a period of one week at a time.