Assistant Band DirectorSperry Public Schools
Job Title: Assistant Band Director
Reports to: Building Principal and Head Band Director
Job Goal: To provide an educational atmosphere in which students will move toward the fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and psychological growth and develop skills as a
performer and as one who appreciates and enjoys music.
District Requirements: Minimum requirement of Bachelor's Degree with valid Oklahoma teaching certificate in both General and Instrumental Music, minimum experience as determined by the board.
Terms of Employment: Employment considered annually in accordance with Oklahoma law.
Annual Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with Oklahoma State law and the provisions of the board's policy on teacher evaluations.
General Responsibilities: These statements are intended to describe the general responsibilities assigned to this position and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required:
1. Attends all high school band rehearsals, sectionals, performances, competitions, fundraisers, trips;
2. Attends and participates as needed in all before and after school informal and formal rehearsals;
3. Provides coaching to assigned high school band ensembles, solos, and auditions;
4. Assists with fundraising activities such as money collection, product distribution, advertising;
5. Assists with operational band tasks such as inventory, uniform distribution, moving equipment, etc.;
6. Takes an active role in daily rehearsals;
7. Provides leadership for the high school instrumental music program. Works with High School Head Band Director to organize and carry out a practice schedule. Coordinates assigned activities with the school calendar. Supervises all assigned activities and performances;
8. Helps develop routines for half-time shows, school events, and public service appearances. Helps coordinate activities with the color guard, and other special groups;
9. Helps develop and coordinate off-season activities (e.g. summer training clinics, etc.);
10. Establishes performance requirements, enforces academic requirements, and verifies each student's eligibility to participate in the band;
11. Provides for band participation at extracurricular events including concerts, contests, football games, pep rallies, parades, and community events;
12. Assists with the implementation of band trips in accordance with district policy and regulations as well as student interest and ability;
13. Complies with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rules, OSSAA rules, and Sperry Board of Education policies;
14. Supports band booster club activities;
15. Teaches or assists in the teaching of elementary general music;
16. Assists with the planning, rehearsing, and directing of musical experiences for the school and community;
17. Cooperates with the school administration in providing music programs for school productions, graduation ceremonies, and, as appropriate, civic functions that enhance the students' performing experience;
18. Assists with preparing students and required documents for District and State auditions and competitions. Assists with making all arrangements;
19. Prepares lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences;
20. Plans and uses appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect an understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned;
21. Creates an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students;
22. Plans and prepares elementary music performances for assigned grade levels; and
23. Other duties as assigned by the Head Band Director, site principal, or other administrative staff.
Sperry Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability. This job description summary does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. This job description is subject to change in response to funding variables, emerging technologies, improved operating procedures, productivity factors, and unforeseen events.