SVLAS is seeking to hire a staff attorney to provide comprehensive legal services to low-income victims of the New River Valley working from our Christiansburg Field Office.
This attorney will provide a full range of civil legal services focusing on domestic violence and family law issues.
The attorney should have a credible interest in serving low-income people; should have a passion for equal justice; have excellent interpersonal skills; and be a licensed Virginia attorney with a valid driver license. We strongly prefer to hire attorneys with at least two or more years of experience, but others may apply. We are an equal opportunity employer.
The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $65,000, depending on epxerience. SVLAS provides excellent fringe benefits including health insurance, retirement, generous leave, and training expenses. Student loan repayment assistance is available depending on your eligibility.
Seeking ONE Justice for All Virginians Since 1972
Job Description: Staff Attorney
• Must be licensed and in good standing with the Virginia State Bar.
• Strong skills in communication, legal analysis and problem solving.
• An understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence and the impact of geographic isolation upon low-income people, the elderly, and the working poor.
• Ability to develop effective rapport with clients
• Ability to work as a team member with other program staff.
• Ability to work as a team member with staff from other community programs.
• Satisfactory clearance of required criminal background check.
• Commitment to the mission of Southwest Virginia Legal Aid Society.
• A credible interest in living and working in Southwest Virginia.
• Representation focusing on protecting the rights of tenants, access to/preservation of affordable and decent housing, maintaining benefits and redressing unfair housing practices, among others.
• Maintain individual caseload commensurate with experience.
• Treat clients with dignity and respect and maintain client confidentiality.
• Work as a team member with other program staff in establishing and carrying out program priorities and maintaining the integrity of our client database.
• Participate in planning and implementation of project outreach and community education programs.
• Participate in continuing legal education
• Confer regularly with Supervising Attorney(s) concerning case status.