Land Use Planner/Senior Land Use Planner
The Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission has an immediate opening for a Senior Land Use Planner. The Commission conducts area-wide land use and transportation planning for the seven-county southeastern region of the State.
This position may serve as a project manager for land use planning projects.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Conducting research and data collection and analysis pertaining to land use, environmental, socioeconomic, and general planning topics
- Attending up to four plan commission and other meetings of local government bodies each month to present and review planning reports.
- Preparing and presenting updates and amendments of county and local plans.
- Providing plan implementation guidance to county and local governments.
The successful candidate will have a well-developed understanding of the basic concepts, principles, and techniques of city and regional planning, an understanding of Federal and State laws and regulations related to planning and land development, a thorough understanding of the methods and procedures needed to collect and analyze planning-related data, and a sound knowledge of zoning and land division regulations.
The ideal candidate would be highly motivated, and have most or all of the following:
- A high degree of political acumen and diplomacy as the position works with numerous local, State and Federal agencies.
- Qualities of tact, good judgement, leadership and a high degree of professional competency.
- Proficient writing, research, organizational, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet and database software.
- Ability to understand and interpret aerial photographs and a variety of planning maps.
A Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in urban planning or a related field is expected. Three to five years’ experience in planning, zoning, public administration, landscape architecture, or related field is preferred. Quality of experience may be substituted for education and background. AICP is desirable. A recent college graduate with qualifying internship experience may be considered for an entry level position. Salary range is $40,000 to $70,000 depending upon education, experience, and placement within the organizational structure. Salary outside the range may be considered for highly qualified applicants.