Solano Irrigation District College Internship
College Internship $18 - $23 per hour
The Engineering Department of Solano Irrigation District is seeking college students or recent graduates with an interest in engineering, construction project management, or a related field. The District internships help college students and recent grads gain valuable work experience, explore a career path in engineering, develop and refine skills, and transition into the job market.
Potential List of Duties:
- GIS work:
- Assist in documenting assets in the field using Leica RTK Unit.
- Collect data from file archives for various assets.
- Update GIS maps and tables.
- Prepare GIS figures.
- Record keeping:
- Updating record drawings from construction as-builts. Requires reading plans and translating them to plan and profile drawings for archiving. The plan and profile drawings are used daily by staff to reference as development projects or farmers needed service changes impact the development.
- Scanning and filing of development improvement plans and correspondence. Requires an ability to interpret plans and ensure the documents are located correctly.
- AutoCAD drafting: (required AutoCAD skills, Civil3D a plus)
- Design drawings for construction project with direction provided from a staff engineer.
- Updating map books.
- Preparing figures and maps for staff use and presentations.
- Miscellaneous field work:
- Assist staff with construction inspections. This is for a candidate that has a solid understanding of plans and specifications of construction drawings (could be learned over time).
- Assist staff will field location and marking out of existing facilities (Underground Service Alert).
- Topographic field survey to provide data design drawing, or facilitate updating District record drawings.
- Knowledge of surveying and an ability to survey a plus.
- The District uses several surveying tools from a laser level to an Leica RTK Unit.