Construction and implementation of capital projects.
Overview of Capital Development Program
The SANDAG Engineering and Construction Department is responsible for implementing projects that enhance the regional transportation network and improve the efficiency of existing resources in close collaboration with our regional partners. Examples of significant projects currently underway or in the planning process include the Mid-Coast Trolley Extension, South Bay Bus Rapid Transit, Otay Mesa East Port of Entry, LOSSAN Rail Corridor Improvements, and high-priority Regional Bikeway Projects in the City of San Diego and other jurisdictions.
• Provide technical support and construction engineering expertise for projects in the conceptual, planning, and design phases; review pre-construction submittals, requests for information, studies, reports, and estimates; conduct analyses of budgets, expenditures, and schedules; coordinate consultant services; verification of compliance with construction related environmental requirements.
• Coordinate the preparation of constructability reviews for projects in design; support internal and consultant construction quality assurance and control processes.
• Facilitate project construction by fostering and establishing collaborative relationships with key internal and external customers, partners and stakeholders such as local jurisdictions, transit operators (MTS and NCTD), Caltrans, and local community planning and interest groups.
• Participate in the preparation of construction bid-solicitation documents such as RFPs and IFBs; support the preparation or verification of high-quality, bid-ready documents such as plans, specifications, drawings, reports, calculations, and environmental permitting; develop scopes of work, cost estimates, budgets, and schedules.
• Review technical proposals, bids, and other submittal documents for transit/transportation systems; evaluate competitive project proposals and make recommendations for consultant or contractor selection.
• Participate in the preparation of contracts and task orders for consultants and contractors; support and administer contracts with consultants for the delivery and quality assurance of engineering products; ensure projects are completed in adherence to funding agency requirements; prepare and deliver regular project status reports; coordinate the analysis and approvals required for budget and/or schedule changes; communicate changes with other departments and agencies.
• Coordinate construction activities with multiple consultants, contractors, sub-contractors, and local agencies; develop, monitor, and communicate critical timelines through detailed schedules and work plans; ensure projects progress and are delivered on schedule, within the approved budget, and meet criteria and specification requirements.
• Support the administration and implementation of construction contracts for one or more projects including staffing, documentation, measurement and payment, processing design and field changes, preparation and approval of construction change orders and resolution of contract disputes and claims.
Experience and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree with major course work in civil, structural, electrical or transportation engineering. Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California, or ability to obtain such registration in California, is required for applicants to qualify as a Senior Engineer.
• Minimum of three years (Associate) or five years (Senior) of increasingly responsible professional capital project delivery experience preferably for transportation-related projects.
• Demonstrated ability to support the construction of a broad range of transportation projects; coordinate and support on-site contractors and sub-contractors and ensure projects are completed in accordance with approved specifications.
• Knowledge of the principles, current trends, and practices related to engineering, construction, quality assurance and control, right-of-way, environmental permitting, and implementation and administration of transportation projects in environmentally sensitive areas.
• Ability to prepare, review, and implement specifications, and plans for regional transportation projects.
• Experience developing bid-solicitation documents including scopes of work, cost estimates, budgets, and schedules; experience evaluating proposals, bid submittals, and related documents in support of consultant or contractor selection.
• Experience preparing on-call professional services contracts, task orders, and change orders; experience managing the workload and budget of on-call professional services contractors; experience preparing regular project or quality status reports and working with internal and external teams.
• Knowledge of construction and engineering specifications and project delivery methodologies including Design/Bid/Build, Design/Build, Job Order Contracting (JOC), Design Sequencing, and Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC).
• Ability to interpret and apply the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) bicycle and pedestrian facility design requirements; experience with the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) bicycle and pedestrian design guides, National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) Urban Bikeway Design Guide, the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Designing Urban Walkable Thoroughfares guide, and Buy America requirements is desirable.
• Ability to interpret and apply federal and state laws, regulations, and requirements pertaining to the Americans with Disabilities Act, stormwater pollution control, and environmental and hazardous materials mitigation; previous experience with the regulations and requirements for railroad design and operation is desirable.
• Ability to supervise construction management professionals and consultants in the delivery of construction contracts (Senior).
• Computer software proficiency using various Microsoft programs and PC-based applications; experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD), financial management systems, project management, and scheduling software is desirable.
Benefits and Salary
Our benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Retirement and financial security benefits are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program. SANDAG offers flexible work schedules and employees are provided with paid time off and paid holidays.
Closes 11/13/2020. EOE.