Director of Music MinistrySaint Matthews Church of Valley Forge
Director of Music Ministry Saint Matthews Church of Valley Forge Position – The Director of Music Ministry, in conjunction with the Pastor and Worship work area, will take the lead to promote the use of music as an expression of worship and a vehicle for faith development. The Director shall plan, coordinate and administer an inclusive, diverse and meaningful music ministry with children, youth and adults. The Director shall demonstrate a commitment to St. Matthew’s mission of growing in faith, fellowship and service to the world. Hours – Approximately 15 hours per week but could vary by week and season.
• Demonstrated skill, education and/or experience that provides preparation for music direction and performance
• Spiritual views consistent with United Methodist theology
• An evident passion for the role of music as a form of worship and ability to share this passion with the congregation
• Willingness to work with all age groups and compliance with Safe Sanctuary clearance requirements
Primary Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• In conjunction with the Pastor and Worship work area the Music Director will determine the music ministry goals and plan the long-range and weekly music for regular, seasonal and summer worship schedules.
• Ensure that services have excellent, varied and inspirational music offerings.
• Provide piano and/or organ accompaniment during worship
• Recruit, rehearse and direct the Chancel Choir
• Recruit, rehearse, direct and develop other choral or instrumental groups including: children’s choir, hand bells, praise band or others. The direction of each of these choirs may be delegated to volunteers as desirable although the coordination of each remains the responsibility of the Director
• Recruit and cultivate music performers
• Participate in the planning for alternative musical performances or forms of worship. This may include contracting with a choral conductor when plans indicate both a conductor and accompanist
• Provide leadership for congregational singing
• Provide leadership for the provision of music for special events such as: concerts, special services, funerals, wedding or other events.