Director of Music MinistrySaint Matthews Church of Valley Forge
Director of Music Ministry
Saint Matthews Church of Valley Forge Position – The Director of Music Ministry, in conjunction with the Pastor and Worship work area, will take the lead to promote the use of music as an expression of worship and a vehicle for faith development. The Director shall plan, coordinate and administer an inclusive, diverse and meaningful music ministry with children, youth and adults.
The Director shall demonstrate a commitment to St. Matthew’s mission of growing in faith, fellowship and service to the world. Hours – Approximately 15 hours per week but could vary by week and season.
- Demonstrated skill, education and/or experience that provides preparation for music direction and performance
- Spiritual views consistent with United Methodist theology
- An evident passion for the role of music as a form of worship and ability to share this passion with the congregation
- Willingness to work with all age groups and compliance with Safe Sanctuary clearance requirements
Primary Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- In conjunction with the Pastor and Worship work area the Music Director will determine the music ministry goals and plan the long-range and weekly music for regular, seasonal and summer worship schedules.
- Ensure that services have excellent, varied and inspirational music offerings.
- Provide piano and/or organ accompaniment during worship
- Recruit, rehearse and direct the Chancel Choir
- Recruit, rehearse, direct and develop other choral or instrumental groups including: children’s choir, hand bells, praise band or others.
- The direction of each of these choirs may be delegated to volunteers as desirable although the coordination of each remains the responsibility of the Director • Recruit and cultivate music performers
- Participate in the planning for alternative musical performances or forms of worship.
- This may include contracting with a choral conductor when plans indicate both a conductor and accompanist
- Provide leadership for congregational singing
- Provide leadership for the provision of music for special events such as: concerts, special services, funerals, wedding or other events.