STAFF ENGINEER, STRUCTURAL STRESS ENGINEERRohr Inc. dba UTC Aerospace Systems
HCA21: Aerostructures - Chula Vista 850 Lagoon Blvd, Chula Vista, CA, 91910 USA
At Collins Aerospace, we’re dedicated to relentlessly tackle the toughest challenges in our industry – all to redefine aerospace.
Created in 2018 through the combination of two leading companies– Rockwell Collins and United Technologies Aerospace Systems – we’re driving the industry forward through technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for global aerospace and defense. Every day we imagine ways to make the skies and the spaces we touch smarter, safer and more amazing than ever. Together we chart new journeys, reunite families, protect nations and save lives. And we do it all with some of the greatest talent this industry has to offer.
We are Collins Aerospace and we hope you join us as we REDEFINE AEROSPACE.
Collins Aerospace’s Aerostructures business is a world leader in the design, manufacture, integration and support of nacelles -- the aerodynamic structures which house aircraft engines. Our nacelle technologies improve fuel efficiency, reduce engine noise and supply critical stopping power when an airplane lands. Today, our innovative nacelle systems are featured on many of the world’s newest and most game-changing commercial, regional and business jet platforms. And we’re not stopping there: we’re working hard to create the next generation of nacelles that are greener, quieter and more efficient. In addition, our Engineered Polymer Products division is a leading developer and manufacturer of advanced, high-performance composite and elastomeric structures and products for marine applications. Whether in the air or underwater, we’re pushing the limits of innovation. Want to join us on this important journey?Collins Aerospace makes modern flight possible. Of course, that wouldn’t be possible without the capabilities and technologies of our organization, as well as our engineers – a highly skilled, accomplished network that spans more than 180 sites, 24 countries and 6 Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn’t shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies. Together, we will nurture an engineering culture that values intellectual curiosity, risk takers and integrity. A place where we will challenge ourselves, our teams, and the status quo and where we will work to find a way – the right way – to achieve what others can only dream of.
Collins Aerospace is for a senior Structural Engineering professional with deep knowledge and highly developed technical expertise working on nacelle type structures. This role includes conducting analyses and inspection of products and processes. It is required to formulate conceptual designs of products, processes and systems to meet customer requirements.
- Perform advanced structural analysis in support of composite and metallic nacelle and Aerostructures components using standard and complex analysis methods and finite element approaches.
- Drive and conduct design trades, optimizations and final product configuration definitions considering safety, strength, weight, cost & producibility.
- Generate and review reports suitable for transmittal to an airworthiness authority and external customers.
- Oversee technical aspects of the stress analysis activities for domestic and global engineering support teams across multiple disciplines.
- Develop and validate new analysis methods and tools for use across the engineering team.
- Candidates for this role should possess at least a Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of prior relevant experience OR
- An Advanced degree and 5 years of prior relevant experience OR
- In absence of a degree, 11 years of relevant experience is required.
- Strong background in nacelle structural analysis (classical hand analysis and finite element skills)
- Demonstrated capability to define and optimize structural load paths
- NASTRAN/PATRAN experience or equivalent
- Ability to deliver high quality output in needed time-frames with minimal oversight
- Must work well in team environment
- Customer focused mentality striving to deliver quality products exceeding customer requirements
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Knowledge and experience using MS Office products
- Ability to communicate technical issues and solutions through digital means to cross geographic/time zone limitations
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Structural Engineering or similar related field and 7 years of relevant experience OR Advanced degree in a Mechanical, Structural Engineering or similar related field and 5 years of prior experience
- Thrust reverser stress analysis preferred
- Advanced Excel knowledge, desirable
- Experience with large scale composite structural panels
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form – with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
• Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
• Tuition reimbursement
• Life insurance and disability coverage
• And more
Apply now and be part of the team that’s redefining aerospace, every day.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Note to candidates regarding interview scams: We'd like to make it clear that UTC Aerospace Systems never asks candidates for money. If you've been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond, send money or personal information. Please report any suspicious activity to Talent Acquisition.