Technical Services AssociateRocky Mount, NC Area Jobs
Braswell Memorial Public Library has an opening for a: Full-time Technical Services Associate.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Collection Development & Technical Services Manager, the Associate in this position will process and add materials into the collection. He or she will perform copy cataloging duties in compliance with NC Cardinal best practices. He or she will assist in identifying materials that should be removed from the collection due to damage, disuse, or obsolescence. The person in this position will evaluate and process donated materials, will process new periodicals, and may perform basic repairs on library materials. This person will periodically visit the branch libraries to work on collection maintenance at these locations.
- Catalog books and other materials in accordance with NC Cardinal best practices
- Processes books and other materials as needed
- Weed materials from the collection based on reports or condition
- Acknowledges gifts and donations to the library
- Organizes and promotes book sales as needed
- Oversees the Resource Sharing Program, boxing up materials to be shipped as well as unpacking and sorting received materials
- Receives and unpacks new materials that have been ordered
- Provides excellent customer service to staff and patrons
- Performs library mailroom activities
- Assists in selecting youth materials for the branch libraries
- Performs other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of modern library operation
- Proficiency in utilizing current technology and office productivity software applications, online databases, and knowledge of Integrated Library System software
- Ability to promote a congenial and respectful workplace environment
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment
- Ability to accept supervision in a courteous and proactive manner
Associate degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. One to three years’ of library experience including technical services experience is preferred. Ability to speak Spanish is desirable, but not required.
Work is typically performed while sitting, standing, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects, occasionally lifts heavy objects, uses equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and must be able to distinguish shades of color.
Must have, or have the ability to obtain, a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
As published in the Rocky Mount Telegram