Apprentice Lineman #15BG02182019Rappahannock Electric Cooperative
Rappahannock Electric Cooperative (REC) is a progressive member owned utility with a service area that spreads from the Blue Ridge Mountains to the tidal waters of the Chesapeake Bay. REC serves over 165,000 connections in portions of 22 Virginia counties. REC is seeking an Apprentice Lineman in our Bowling Green office.
- High School Diploma or GED (General Equivalency Diploma) required.
- Additional electrical courses desired. NRECA courses in supervision preferred.
- Previous experience in construction and operation of equipment is desirable.
- Must be able to understand REC's system maps, staking sheets, and other work order procedures required of this job.
- Must learn REC's safety rules. Must gain an effective knowledge of REC construction specifications and National Electrical Safety Code requirements pertaining to line construction, both electrical and fiber.
- Must keep informed of all REC operating policies.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including, but not limited to: Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint desired as required by job responsibilities.
- Must work in all types of weather conditions when necessary and wear protective equipment as required.
- Be willing to work overtime as required, sometimes during extremely long hours with little rest.
- Must be able to perform hard physical labor when necessary including lifting and carrying up to 150 pounds.
- Must live within 30 minutes of work location, or move to within 30 minutes of work location, in no more than 6 months after hire date.
- Must be willing and able to: Learn to climb effectively and perform assigned duties.
- Operate two-way radio equipment effectively. Learn to patrol lines and rights of way and accurately report findings.
- Demonstrate ability to perform first aid. Obtain a valid Virginia Commercial Driver's license within 6 months.
- Comprehend both verbal and written instructions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This institution is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer.