This is an ideal position for a recent graduate looking to gain experience!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 17, 2023 4:00 p.m. or open until filled
POSITION LOCATION: Glenwood, MN duration up to a 6‐month position (April to October)
COMPENSATION: $16 to 18 per hour depending on qualifications and experience Please note we may hire up to two interns for the season.
The Intern will be responsible for collecting weekly water samples from vacuum lysimeters, conducting nitrate‐nitrogen analysis, neutron probe readings, nitrous oxide readings, soil moisture data readings using neutron probes, and documenting test results at the Rosholt Farm near Westport, Minnesota. The farm has multiple research plots. Intern will also be responsible for assisting with tree planting, grass seeding’s, educational programming, and general assistance with all programs offered through the district. Intern will need to complete training for operating neutron probe equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSILBILITIES:
- Collect water samples weekly from each of the vacuum lysimeter stations.
- Perform water testing using spectrophotometer equipment and standard operating procedures, document and record test results for each lysimeter at the job site.
- Prepare and submit test samples to a certified laboratory for analysis according to Minnesota Department of Agriculture Quality Control requirements.
- Coordinate with the University of Minnesota researchers on their plots. Maintain and organize data.
- Assist where needed with research related management work including; plot fertilization, crop scouting, plant sample collection, soil sampling, soil moisture monitoring, stalk sampling and harvest.
- Maintain, operate and secure equipment properly at the project site.
- Perform operations and maintenance tasks at Herman Rosholt Farm project site.
- Comply with health and safety procedures.
- May involve other duties as assigned to complete work related to Rosholt Farm Project activities including mowing and site maintenance.
- Carry out other duties as assigned including assisting with tree planting including installation of weed barrier fabric, grass seeding’s using no‐till drill and tractor, pulling gooseneck trailers with equipment, assist with shoreline restoration plantings, educational programming including the fair, and general assistance with all programs offered through the District.
- This position is meant to assist and will serve as a good opportunity for an individual to gain experience and begin a career in the natural resources or environmental field.
Education: Course study in Hydrology, Agronomy, Ag Education, Environmental Sciences, or Soil Science.
- Organized with a strong attention to detail and time management skills
- Demonstrates a strong level of accountability
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Exhibits professionalism
- High degree of initiative, self‐motivation and ability to work independently
- Farm, rural, or agribusiness background preferred; experience with machinery or soil and water monitoring equipment helpful
- Must be able and willing to work outdoors in varied weather conditions; capable of lifting up to 70 pounds
- Possess a valid driver’s license
JOB LOCATION: Westport, Minnesota (Pope County)
POSITION TYPE: This is a temporary up to a 6‐month position that is grant‐funded.