History InstructorNorthland Community & Technical College
Notice of Vacancy: It is the policy of Northland Community and Technical College to ensure that the selection for this position is accessible to all candidates. This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling Becky Lindseth, Interim Director of Human Resources, at (218) 683-8630.
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 2/3/2020
Closing Date: 3/1/2020
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Northland Community and Technical College / TRF
Division/Unit: TRF Faculty
Appointment Type: Full-time, Unlimited
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: Rarely between campuses
Salary Range: $45,260 - $$82,417 Annually
Job Class Option: 007018
Classified Status: Unclassified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 210-MSCF
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Area: Academics
Location: Thief River Falls
Connect 700 Program: Yes
Previous Incumbent: Paul Boone
Northland Community and Technical College (NCTC) seeks a full-time unlimited History Instructor dedicated to excellence in teaching who desires to become part of a creative, vibrant, student-centered learning community. The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to interdisciplinary and cross-cultural perspectives. Primary responsibilities will be teaching on the Thief River Falls campus and online.
Faculty members at NCTC are professionally active scholars who participate in departmental and campus-wide activities to enhance their disciplines, promote interdisciplinary discourse and collaboration, and advance the college mission. The college is committed to reflecting a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds amongst its administrators, faculty, and staff.
Examples of Duties:
* Deliver instruction using a variety of methods including on-site, online, and/or hybrid-blended for a wide range of students, including traditional, developmental, adult, concurrent enrollment, and English-language learners.
* Conduct classroom research and other assessment/evaluation activities.
* Mentor and advise students.
* Maintain consistent communication with students through office hours, email, and telephone.
* Plan, develop, and deliver curriculum.
* Participate in committee assignments and college-wide initiatives.
* Support the mission, vision, and core values of NCTC.
* Engage in professional development activities.
* Promote diversity and cultural competency.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Master's degree with a major in history or a Master's degree with a minimum of 18 graduate semester credits (27 graduate quarter credits) in history.
* Teaching and Learning Competency Requirement:
o Course Construction (credit course) *
o Teaching/Instructional Methods (credit course) *
o Student Outcomes Assessment/Evaluation (credit course) *
o Philosophy of Community and Technical College Education (credit/non-credit course) **
o * These courses shall be a waived for individuals who, at the time of hire, have a degree in education, or have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework in the specified teaching and learning content areas, or have three years of successful, full-time (or equivalent) secondary, postsecondary, industry, or trade apprenticeship teaching experience in the field for which they are being hired. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.2)
o ** This course shall be waived for individuals who, at the time of hire, have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.3)
* Faculty shall have a degree in education or three years of successful full-time (or equivalent) teaching experience prior to being hired, or shall be required to complete coursework in the above content areas (or their equivalent) prior to being granted unlimited status.
* Familiarity with and commitment to the mission of a community and technical college.
* Two years teaching experience in a college setting.
* Demonstrated experience with assessment of student learning.
* Demonstrated experience advising and mentoring within professional setting.
* Demonstrated ability to engage learners from a broad range of cultural backgrounds.
* Demonstrated ability to apply active learning strategies within a classroom setting.
* Effective oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
* Effective planning and organizational skills.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance is needed.
Why Work For Us:
At Northland Community and Technical College, we have a great benefits package! Our generous benefits include 11 paid Holidays, Vacation Time, Sick Time, six weeks of Paid Parental Leave, low cost medical and dental insurance with low deductibles, a Pension Plan, 457(b) and 403(b) retirement plans and other retirement investment options, pre-tax medical and dental expense (with roll-over option) and dependent care accounts, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, as well as professional development and a tuition waiver program for employees and their dependents, etc. We promote the health and well-being of our employees and take work/life balance seriously.
Contact: If you have questions about the position, contact Becky Lindseth, Interim Director of Human Resources, at Becky.Lindseth@northlandcollege.edu or (218) 683-8630
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply