General Maintenance Worker
NOTICE OF VACANCY: It is the policy of Northland Community and Technical College to ensure that the selection for this position is accessible to all candidates. This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling Becky Eicher, Human Resources Technician, at (218) 793-2407.
• Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
• PCN: 01096637
• Date Posted: 07/22/2022
• Closing Date: 08/12/2022
• Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: MN St Colleges & Universities / NorthTC-EGrndFrks-AFSCME
• Division/Unit: MnSCU Northland CTC E Grd Fork / MnSCU NW E Grand Fk TC Class
• Appointment Type: Full-time, Unlimited
• Work Shift/Work Hours: Evening Shift / Monday-Thursday 1:00PM - 9:30PM, F 9:30AM - 6:00PM
• Days of Work: Monday - Friday
• Travel Required: No
• Salary Range: $16.01 - $22.65 hourly
• Classified Status: Classified
• Bargaining Unit/Union: 203 - Service/AFSCME
• Work Area: Facilities
• Location: East Grand Forks
• FLSA Status: Nonexempt
• Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
Job Summary: Northland Community and Technical College seeks a full-time unlimited General Maintenance Worker
for the East Grand Forks campus. The position purpose is to maintain Northland Community and Technical College's buildings and grounds in neat, clean, safe condition and good repair. The incumbent will perform a variety of general work in the maintenance of the facility that will include essential employee duties. The General Maintenance Worker's responsibilities include:
1. Maintain Northland Community and Technical College's buildings in neat clean condition.
a. Sweep, mop, scrub, wax, or otherwise clean assigned area either by machine or manually.
b. Clean restrooms and shower rooms.
c. Move, dust, rearrange, or make minor repairs to furniture.
d. Wash windows, skylights, ceilings, and walls.
e. Haul trash and refuse to pick-up points.
f. Oversee set-up and take down of activities.
g. Keep work carts clean and orderly.
h. Conduct security inspection of assigned area prior to end of shift.
Percent of time: 80%
2. Perform repair and maintenance duties as assigned.
a. Make minor repairs to buildings and equipment.
b. Maintain lawnmowers, trucks, tractors, and other mechanical equipment.
c. Aid in carpet removal and floor preparation.
d. Assist in demolition of construction areas.
e. Assist in the building of walls and hanging of ceilings.
f. Perform minor plumbing when needed.
g. Assist Electrician in Electrical projects.
h. Assist in maintaining HVAC Equipment.
i. Removal of snow and ice from NCTC sidewalks, park lots, entrance.
Percent of time: 15%
3. Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business partner.
a. Pick up and deliver mail when needed.
b. Assist with the set-up and take down of large Northland events.
c. Report or write down supplies needed.
d. Inspect and maintain campus fire extinguishers.
e. Drive state vehicles up for maintenance.
f. Inspect and maintain campus defibrillator units.
g. Occasionally attend maintenance workshops and seminars.
Percent of time: 5%
• Different types of flooring/floor covering sufficient to determine proper methods of maintenance and appropriate cleaning methods, materials, agents and equipment.
• Chemical cleaning agents such as ammonia, bleaches, scouring agents, and soaps sufficient to appropriately select the agent(s), handle and apply, and dispose of safely.
• Methods, tools, and equipment used in maintenance sufficient to use effectively and operate safely and to make minor repairs.
• Follow simple oral and written instructions.
• Perform assigned tasks with limited work direction.
• Keep simple records.
• The ability to work with diverse cultures and populations.
Physical health and endurance sufficient to perform work functions:
• Requires occasionally lifting/moving articles such as 50 pound maximum and frequently
lifting and/or moving objects such as heavy tools and file boxes. This job may require
walking or standing to a significant degree on rough terrain or may involve sitting most
of the time with pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
• Work in a variety of adverse weather conditions.
• Work above the ground level, such as, on ladders and scaffolding.
Employment information for this position can be found in its collective bargaining agreement or its plan document at http://mn.gov/mmb/employee-relations/labor-relations/Labor/.
Why Work For Us:
At Northland Community and Technical College, we have a GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE!
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 12 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
Please apply online at https://mn.gov/mmb/careers using the following Job ID 57611, as paper applications will not be accepted. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job
information line at (651) 259-3637. Application Deadline: 08/12/2022
If you have questions about the position, contact Becky Eicher, Human Resources Technician, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (218) 793-2407.
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race,
sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or
membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively
seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals
with protected veteran status.