General Maintenance Worker #31430Northland Community & Technical College
General Maintenance Worker
Notice Of Vacancy:
It is the policy of Northland Community and Technical College to ensure that the selection for this position is accessible to all candidates.
This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling Colleen Kukowski, Administration Services Coordinator (218) 793-2407.
Job Class: General Maintenance Worker
Working Title: GMW
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified candidates
Date Posted: March 26, 2019
Closing Date: April 15, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Northland Community and Technical College / Thief River Falls
Appointment Type: Part-Time, Unlimited (fully benefited)
Work Shift/Work Hours: Evening shift / 3-11:00 p.m. (Monday- Thursday) 3-7 p.m. (Friday)
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: Rarely
Salary Range: $14.54 - $20.57 /hourly
Job Class Option: 001725
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union AFSCME - 203
Work Area: Facilities
Location: Thief River Falls, MN
Job ID: 31430
Northland Community and Technical College's is seeking a part-time, unlimited (fully benefited) individual to maintain buildings and grounds in neat, clean, safe condition and good repair. The incumbent will perform a variety of general work in the maintenance of the facility that will include essential employee duties.
1. Maintain Northland Community and Technical College's buildings in neat clean condition.
2. Perform repair and maintenance duties as assigned.
3. Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business partner.
Minimum Qualifications (expected to have to enter job)
- Different types of flooring/floor covering sufficient to determine proper methods of maintenance and appropriate cleaning methods, materials, agents and equipment.
- Chemical cleaning agents such as ammonia, bleaches, scouring agents, and soaps sufficient to appropriately select the agent(s), handle and apply, and dispose of safely.
- Methods, told, and equipment used in maintenance sufficient to use effectively and operate safely and to make minor repairs.
- Follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Perform assigned tasks with limited work direction.
- Keep simple records.
- The ability to work with diverse cultures and populations.
- Physical health and endurance sufficient to perform work functions:
- Requires occasionally lifting articles such as 50-pound maximum and frequently lifting and/or carrying objects such as heavy tools and file boxes. This job may require walking or standing to a significant degree on rough terrain or may involve sitting most of the time with pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
- Must possess a current Class D driver's license.
Preferred Qualifications (desired but not expected to have to enter job)
- Three (3) years of experience in maintaining buildings and grounds.
- English (speaking, reading, writing) sufficient to interpret and respond in a clear and concise manner.
- Mechanical ability to make minor repairs on equipment.
- Possess a Class C Boilers license or ability to obtain one within one year.
- Basic understanding of heating, cooling, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Knowledge of Building Operating Control Systems.
- Experience in operating grounds equipment and fork lift.
- Basic computer skills.
Great Benefits Package!
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our mission as an employer is to actively recruit, welcome and support a workforce, which is diverse and inclusive of people who are underrepresented in the development of state policies, programs and practices, so that we can support the success and growth of all people who call Minnesota home.
Contact: If you have questions about the position, contact Colleen at email@example.com or 218.793.2407.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.