The Transportation Department of the North Central Texas Council of Governments is seeking an Intern to support the Travel Demand Management (TDM) Program which focuses on promoting alternative commute options to reduce roadway congestion and improve air quality within the North Central Texas region. This position will assist in activities related to promoting alternative commute options such as carpooling, vanpooling, transit, biking, walking, telecommuting, and flexible work schedules; all strategies that reduce the demand for drive-alone travel on regional roadways. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://jobs.silkroad.com/NCTCOG/Careers. To be considered for another Intern position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 20 hours a week while attending school.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with the oversight of TryParkingIt.com, the region’s commuter tracking and rideshare website, and the associated commuter rewards program
- Assisting the public with Try Parking It requests and ride-match inquiries
- Assisting with TDM program related outreach efforts and activities
- Assisting with the development of TDM outreach materials and awareness campaigns
- Assisting partner agencies and employers with TDM related data requests
- Assisting with the production of annual performance reports for regional TDM programs
- Assisting with TDM research and data collection efforts
- Assisting with the maintenance of the regional park-and-ride facility inventory database
- Compiling and maintaining databases and spreadsheets while ensuring data accuracy
- Producing charts, plots, and reports, and working with supervisor to interpret, analyze and manipulate data
- Drafting memorandums, letters, documentation, progress reports, presentations, and articles
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher and Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to create, maintain, and manipulate databases, maps, queries, and tables
- Detail-oriented, organized, fast learner, and the ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with other team members
- Ability to work independently, in a team environment, and in time-sensitive situations
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment. Pursuit of a degree in a related field desired.
- No work experience required, at least one year of school-related experience preferred.
Minimum of $11.43 per hour
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG's purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.