Power Plant Operator 2 #190401-9322FM-001New London, CT Area Jobs
06268, CT Full-time
Posted on April 7, 2019
Power Plant Operator 2 (Rotating Days and Shifts)
The University of Connecticut's Facilities Operations Department has two openings for the position of Power Plant Operator 2 (Rotating Days and Shifts).
Examples Of Duties:
- Performs highly skilled duties to ensure safe operation and production of high pressure superheated steam, electrical power and chilled water to meet energy needs;
- Utilizes a distributed control system to monitor performance of cogeneration power plant's equipment and systems such as gas and steam turbine engines, boilers, duct burners, feed water and condensate systems, water chemistry, fuel system, ammonia and emissions monitoring systems, blow down system, cooling tower and chilled water distribution;
- Makes necessary production process control and performance adjustments within defined ranges set by state and federal regulations and manufacturer guidelines;
- Detects faulty or erratic equipment operation through improper reads on display screens or system generated reports;
- Notifies Power Plant Operator 1 to make manual adjustments and/or shut down or startup of equipment or plant;
- Monitors hours of run for all equipment to ensure balanced usage and mixes to influence energy spending rate;
- Mathematically calculates conversion tables to determine steam pressure, water flow and temperatures; determines proper course of action for remediation and advises proper authority;
- Prepares work orders for faulty equipment;
- Reports and responds to chemical, fuel, oil leaks or spills in accordance with plant emergency response plans;
- Prepares daily logs and reports;
- Attends safety meetings; May perform work outside of control room;
- May perform routine and/or scheduled maintenance and repairs on rotating shift;
- Performs related duties as required.
UConn is an AA/EEO employer.