The National Center for Higher Education Management Systems (NCHEMS) is seeking a talented data analyst to join our data team. Strong experience managing large data sets, building data modeling and visualization tools, and a bachelor's degree is required. Experience working in post-secondary education analysis preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide primary data support for an externally funded effort to improve how developmental education is provided in postsecondary education institutions, including full participation as part of that project team. (Approximately 50-75% of the position will be devoted to this activity.)
- Construct, manage, and query large datasets drawn from multiple sources to generate new knowledge about policies and practices in postsecondary education.
- Build interactive data modeling and visualization tools.
- Provide support for the development of reports and presentations.
- Ensure the highest standard for data quality and integrity in all aspects of data-related work.
- Ensure performance, integrity, and security of multiple datasets.
- Document all elements of methods adopted in data sourcing, management, and analysis.
- Positively represent NCHEMS by building relationships and working successfully with a diverse group of external partners
- Assist in the development of proposals and prospective projects seeking external funding.
- Be able to travel out-of-state depending on project demands. Anticipated travel expectations are approximately 5-10%. Additionally, be able to attend off-site but in-state meetings as needed.
- Assist with document review and qualitative research and analysis activities on an as-needed basis.
- Ability to manage and query large datasets, and to analyze and interpret results, using software tools such as Microsoft Excel, Access, or the like, and statistical programs such as STATA, SPSS, R, or SAS.
- Experience in successfully building data modeling and visualization tools and proficiency with data visualization tools, such as Tableau.
- Customer-service driven communication skills and experience conveying technical information for non-technical audiences.
- Considerable attention to detail.
- Experience writing data manuals, codebooks, or other means of data documentation.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize multiple projects and tasks.
- Experience working with data relevant for postsecondary education analysis (e.g. IPEDS, Census, BLS, student record-level data).
- Advanced data modeling, analysis, and visualization capabilities