Human Resources Division Manager
Under limited direction, this position has the overall responsibility to perform complex work, planning, managing, supervising, and implementing the human resources and safety programs; coordinating and managing benefit programs; coordinating recruitment, selection, hiring, and training programs; assisting with collective bargaining negotiations; and related work as required. This position exercises divisional supervision over assigned staff.
JOB DUTIES OR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Partners with the General Manager and P&S Staff to develop strategic human resources, safety, records management, policies, practices, and procedures.
• Assists the General Manager with drafting Administrative and Commission policies.
• Develops, reviews, implements, interprets, and administers MPS' personnel policies, and provides advice on policy issues.
• Assists the General Manager in monitoring legislation that may affect the utility, as well as assists with developing Moorhead Public Service's (MPS') response to such legislation.
• Serves as the Acting General Manager or the General Manager's designated representative, when required, with such authority and responsibility as may be assigned, to a broad spectrum of external organizations.
• Oversees, directs, and evaluates human resource personnel and activities.
• Develops and tracks key performance indicators for MPS' human resources, safety, records management, and administrative functions, as well as assesses MPS' success and market competitiveness based on these metrics.
• Manages personnel recruitment and selection process.
• Administers, analyzes, researches, directs, and implements compensation and benefit programs and annual open enrollments, and educates potential employees, active employees, and retirees on benefit plans.
• Develops, evaluates, and maintains job descriptions; conducts analyses and classification studies; and makes recommendations.
• Analyzes wage and salary data, classifies positions within the Base Pay Structure, and administers compensation according to the labor agreements.
• Partners with the General Manager to negotiate labor agreements, researches and prepares proposals and responses, and interprets labor agreements.
• Plans and conducts new employee onboarding to foster a positive attitude toward MPS' mission, vision, values, and culture.
• Assists the General Manager with designing and maintaining an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish MPS' goals and objectives in accordance with policy and state law.
• Administers and structures a performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within MPS.
• Oversees the performance and discipline process, conducts misconduct investigations, and recommends appropriate action.
• Oversees the grievance management process, provides advice on policy and contractual issues, and recommends resolution.
• Responds to employee complaints and concerns, and serves as an intermediary to resolve disputes.
• Oversees MPS' OSHA and CDL testing requirements.
• Manages MPS' Workers' Compensation Program.
• Oversees employee personnel and medical records, ensures security, and classifies documents according to the Minnesota Government Data practices Act.
• Oversees MPS' organization-wide Records Management Program Administration.
• Develops, recommends, and implements employee training and education programs.
• Maintains responsibility for organization compliance with federal, state, and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
• Performs other duties as requested.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be competent in the following areas:
• Kindness and Understanding. Must be able to exhibit kindness and understanding and be
fair-minded and reasonable. Must be approachable and exhibit good judgement when handling personal issues. Must be confidential and protect the privacy of all employees.
• Analytical. Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Collects and researches data. Uses intuition and experience to complement data. Designs work flows and procedures.
• Problem Solving. Must be able to handle problems on the job on a regular basis. Conflict between employees and misunderstanding of benefits and policies will occasionally occur. No matter what problems or issues may come up, the individual must be able to resolve the problem or issue.
• Leadership. Inspires and motivates others to perform well. Inspires respect and trust. Accepts feedback from others. Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Gives appropriate recognition to others. Displays passion and optimism. Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
• Manage People. Includes others in planning, decision-making, facilitating, and process improvement. Takes responsibility of subordinate activities. Makes self available to others. Provides regular performance feedback. Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth. Fosters quality focus in others. Improves processes, products, and services.
• Strategic Thinking. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Understands MPS' strengths and weaknesses. Identifies external threats and opportunities. Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
• Results. Able to articulate and drive the need for timely, high-quality results. Motivates by personal example of hard work and is dedicated to results. Internally driven to achieve high personal standards. Institutes systems to monitor progress and assures sustainable results. Anticipates, diagnoses, and works through roadblocks. Continually seeks to improve work results and methods.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the formal education, experience, and training required.
Bachelor's degree in human resources, business administration, or related field.
Six (6) years of experience working in a personnel or human resources environment.
Trainings, Certificates, Licenses, and Other Requirements
• Driver's license valid in the state of Minnesota.
• Leadership qualities consistent with MPS' Culture Values - be engaged, be respectful, be positive, be a team player, and be appreciative of others.
The requirements listed below are representative of the formal education, experience, and training preferred in order to exceptionally perform all of the functions of this position.
Master's degree in human resources, business administration, or related field.
Ten (10) years of experience working in a personnel or human resources environment.
Trainings, Certificates, and Licenses
Advanced human resources certification, such as Professional Human Resources or SHRM-Certified Professional.
While performing the normal duties of this job, many different processes and methods are required to apply to an established professional or technical field.
Limited direction is provided while performing the normal duties of this job.
This position exhibits formal supervisory responsibilities as a manager in charge of multiple, related functions.
While performing the normal duties of this job, this position's work affects a wide range of professional projects or administrative activities of MPS, influences internal or external operations, or impacts many people.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES AND WORK CONDITIONS
The physical demands and work conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, this position:
• May occasionally walk, lift up to 25 lbs., carry up to 10 lbs., use repetitive motions, and drive; frequently stand, finger/enter data/keystroke, feel, and speak; and continuously sit and hear.
• Will use close vision, far vision, depth perception, and visual acuteness.
• Will use their right hand and left hand for simple handling or grasping, and fine handling or manipulation.
While performing the duties of this job, this position will experience exposure to inside environmental conditions.
WAGE AND APPLICATION INFORMATION:
The 2023 salary range for this position is between $8,252 and $12,695 monthly. The starting salary will be dependent upon experience and education. Excellent health insurance and benefits package.
Closing date: Monday, March 20, 2023.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job notice should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive responsibilities of the position. Other duties may be required by the supervisor. The job notice does not constitute an employment contract between the employer and the employee. It is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.