Systems and Applications Manager - Information and Educational Technology Services #0004
MODESTO CITY SCHOOLS
Job Description JC# 0004
Systems and Applications Manager
Under general direction, provide leadership and assume management responsibility for the operations, support and maintenance of the systems and applications that support the district’s enterprise-wide technology infrastructure. Responsible for the coordination of all development activities including the analysis, design, development, configuration, testing, implementation, integration, operations and management of systems and applications projects to meet the requirements and needs of the District.
1. Coordinate development activities, installations, upgrades and system modifications for district systems and applications.
2. Identify and review the District’s current and future needs with existing industry applications; oversee planning development, application analysis and managing of District software solutions; ensure cost effective selection and operations of software to meet both administrative and curriculum needs.
3. Supervise the design, analyses and monitoring of enterprise applications databases; plan, organize and execute the migration and conversion of data; ensure the integrity and security of data; supervise and participate in department/enterprise disaster recovery planning and data security administration; oversee the administration of application-level security protocols; assign roles and permissions.
4. Analyze complex applications and system needs from end-users while maintaining a high level of customer service. Develop application implementation plans and work with stakeholders, staff and vendors, as needed.
5. Manage and coordinate all systems and database engineering, data mining and database integration to meet the District’s needs for data and information management.
6. Analyze, write, troubleshoot, edit and execute moderate to complex SQL queries.
7. Manage the design or modification of user interface applications and back-end databases using various programming and scripting languages.
8. Manage Application Programming Interfaces (API) development, including design, testing and final implementation acceptance steps.
9. Monitor the District business systems, student information systems, digital dashboards and other systems for data integrity and proper operations.
10. Analyze, plan and manage long-term needs of software and database integration and development.
11. Create technical methodologies and documentation for development and data integration solutions; generate and keep up to date documentation for district systems and applications.
12. Provide technical expertise, information and assistance regarding data collection, data integration and decision support.
13. Develop policies and procedures for operations and data integration, application development and usage.
14. Communicate with other departments to report and resolve software, database and operations problems while maintaining a high level of customer service.
15. Determine and manage the best practices to visually represent business and operational needs to be implemented into system designs.
16. Supervise, review and manage support staff in the area of database administration application interface development, dashboard development and support, CMS, SIS, ERP, and minor level of application development after determining existing vendor systems are not adequate.
17. Utilize best practices and design methods to ensure the success of projects.
18. Analyze and suggest improvements for district systems and applications.
19. Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff.
20. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending education workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices and participating in professional societies.
21. Resolve product or service problems by clarifying the customer’s complaint, determine the cause of the problem, select and explain the best solution to solve the problem, expedite correction or adjustment and follow-up to ensure resolution.
22. Effectively communicate and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
23. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Approved days as specified on the Management Salary Schedule
Management Salary Schedule
Requirements / Qualifications
Experience Minimum Requirements: Web-related programming experience with one or more of the following technologies: ASP.NET, ASP, JSP, Java Servlets, VBScript, XML, XHTML, CSS, CHTML, XSL. Database and query experience including any of the following: SQL Server, Oracle, Access. Experience in the development of on demand and automated end-user data reporting. Five (5) years experience in information technology OR three (3) years experience in information technology and a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Education/Credential Minimum Requirements: Graduation from High school or General Education Development (GED) Certificate or California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) Certificate and five (5) years of experience in information technology or Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, and three to four (3-4) years experience in information technology. License valid California Driver’s License.