Database Administrator #0008
MODESTO CITY SCHOOLS
Job Description JC# 0008
Database Administrator (DBA)
Under general supervision, provide database need assessment, design, development, and maintenance of all database systems serving Modesto City Schools; assure the integrity of database systems; create complex database functions and program within a heterogeneous SQL environment; seamlessly integrate with various technologies such as C#, SQLPLUS, MS SQL Server, Report Server, and database replication environments; and provide development, testing, implementation, integration, and support of software programs.
1. Identifies database requirements by interviewing customers and web developers; analyzes department applications, programming, and operations; evaluates existing systems and designs proposed systems.
2. Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
3. Installs revised or new systems by proposing specifications and flowcharts; recommends optimum access techniques; coordinates installation requirements.
4. Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters, implements new releases, completes maintenance requirements, and evaluates computer operating systems and hardware products.
5. Maintains daily database jobs and stored procedure library.
6. Evaluates security risks of current and planned development for databases.
7. Maintains replication environments for District student and business systems.
8. Provides information by answering questions, conducting training, and resolving problems.
9. Supports database functions by designing and coding utilities.
10. Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organizational standards.
11. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices and participating in professional societies.
12. Performs complex technical, analytical, and professional services involving program/member services, evaluation, database-driven web sites, and office operations.
13. Utilizes best practices and design methods to ensure the success of projects.
14. Generates and keeps up-to-date documentation for District databases, websites, and web-based resources.
15. Effectively trains Information Technology staff how to perform essential tasks related to maintaining web pages that can be easily updated and are engaging to the end user.
16. Analyzes and suggests improvements in the overall software development process.
17. Troubleshoots and resolves issues as assigned in call logging and defect tracking systems.
18. Effectively communicate and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
19. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Approved as specified on the Management Salary Schedule
Management Salary Schedule
Requirements / Qualifications
Experience Minimum Requirements: Two (2) years of experience working in database administration and maintenance of current versions of Microsoft SQL Server and/or Oracle. Experience with database performance tuning for current versions of Microsoft SQL Server and/or Oracle.
Education/Credential Minimum Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree or any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from a college or university with a major in Computer Science or related field. License Minimum Requirement: Valid California Driver’s License.
- Copy of Transcript (Bachelor’s Degree from an Accredited College or University with significant coursework in Computer Science, Business Administration or related field.)