Director of Claims
Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust (MCIT)
Full time, exempt
Location: St. Paul, Minn. Office, with occasional travel in Minnesota
MCIT offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) pension and optional Section 457(b) deferred compensation program
- Group health and dental insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave 12 paid holidays
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness program eligibility: MCIT employees may qualify for this federal program to forgive student loan debt
- Employer-paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Optional employee-paid life and vision insurance
- Free off-street parking provided
The director of claims is responsible to oversee all claim activities necessary for the operation of Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust. The position requires a high degree of independent judgment, management skill and knowledge of property, liability, auto and workers’ compensation claims administration in an electronic (paperless) environment. The incumbent supervises the workers’ compensation claims manager and the property/casualty claims manager.
MCIT is a joint powers government entity made up of Minnesota counties and associated public entities that pool resources to provide property, liability and workers’ compensation coverage to members. MCIT offers a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a pension plan.
Under the direction and supervision of the executive director, the director of claims:
- Develops policies relative to property, liability, auto and workers’ compensation claims administration (e.g., claims handling protocols, litigation strategies, reserving, reinsurance reporting, recoveries)
- Ensures compliance with claim handling/claim management philosophy, policies, protocol and standards
- Participates in discussion of defense strategies and makes decisions regarding disposition of complex, high-value and/or controversial claims
The following are common duties of the director of claims:
- Evaluate, review and resolve coverage application questions
- Represent MCIT in coverage appeals to the MCIT Board of Directors
- Work in conjunction with the Claim Managers and staff counsel to identify panel of approved legal counsel
- Participate in the evaluation of defense counsel and ensure compliance with litigation guidelines
- Offer direction regarding selection of appropriate defense counsel
- Ensure reserve adequacy of claims
- Engage members as needed in claims’ resolution
- Evaluate performance of vendors that support claims administration (i.e., work comp bill review, pharmacy benefits manager, doctors, independent adjusters and insure compliance with contracts)
- Remain current on statutory and case law changes
- Oversee reinsurance recovery, restitution and subrogation and monitor collection activities and results
- Coordinate all file reviews or audit of claims information (reinsurers, independent financial audit, independent claims audit)
- Make employment recommendations (recruiting, hiring, performance improvement, termination, etc.) to the Executive Director
- Conduct performance annual evaluation of workers’ compensation and property/casualty claim managers
- Integrate claims information with MCIT’s information, education and training initiatives
- Assist in the identification of services and opportunities for members
- Assist in the development and presentation of MCIT information and education programs including training sessions and publications
- Conduct research regarding risk management and liability issues and prepare and present reports as needed
- Assist the Executive Director in the development and implementation of MCIT’s annual work plan and annual operational budget relative to claims administration
- Negotiate and monitor contracts and agreements as assigned
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with other associations and governmental entities to ensure that MCIT’s interests are appropriately represented in claims, legislative and judicial decisions
- Ensure timely preparation of quality materials for MCIT Claims Committee
- In conjunction with defense counsel and MCIT staff counsel identify cases with amicus value for recommendation to Executive Director and AMC
- A four-year degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, insurance or related field
- Minimum seven years of multiline claims experience and/or workers’ compensation claims experience
- At least three years of supervisory/management experience
- Familiarity with principles of Minnesota municipal law and/or Minnesota workers’ compensation law
- Have and maintain a valid motor vehicle driver’s license
- Experience working in a paperless/electronic claims environment
- Solid understanding of electronic claims system capabilities from a management and adjustment perspective
- Familiarity with local government, service organizations, associations
Download the Director of Claims Position Description for a full list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.
- Applicants must apply through the MCIT website at MCIT.org/employment-opportunities/.
- All applicants must:
- Complete an online application
- Provide a cover letter and résumé. The cover letter must identify how the applicant’s experience and abilities align with the position description.
- Résumés without application and cover letter will not be accepted.
- Application deadline: Open until filled. First review: May 31, 2023 Direct questions to Linda Podritz, Director of Internal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.209.6400.
MCIT is an equal-opportunity employer.