Legal Secretary #65544
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers and bidders simultaneously
Date Posted: 05/08/2023
Closing Date: 05/22/2023
Position Salary Range: $21.55 - $29.08/hourly; $44,996 - $60,719/annually
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recognized as a Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota 2022 and a Top Workplaces USA 2023 — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we are actively building an internal culture that supports that calling.
The Office is seeking a Legal Secretary to support the Charities and Consumer Protection Divisions in our Town Square Tower office location. Specifically, this position will support attorneys and paralegals as directed by the supervisor.
The work includes but is not limited to preparing legal documents and briefs, efiling, filing, serving legal documents, opening and closing files, retaining records, and occasionally transcribing documents.
- Knowledge of:
- English sufficient to perform the job duties described above, using, reading, writing, and speaking skills to communicate effectively
- Legal terminology sufficient to draft a variety of legal documents
- Skill in:
- Typing/Keyboarding sufficient to perform skilled typing tasks with speed and accuracy
- Word processing sufficient to type, format, edit, and finalize legal documents and other written materials, ensuring they are properly formatted, grammatically correct, and error-free
- Data entry sufficient to maintain reports; locate and correct data entry errors; compile, sort, and verify data accuracy before entering it; and receive and review source documents
- Customer service sufficient to provide courteous, effective, and timely service to coworkers, other staff, clients, opposing counsel, etc.
- Ability to:
- Use or readily learn database management techniques sufficient to access, enter, edit/update, format, and print information in databases
- Knowledge of:
- Legal documents that include but are not limited to legal pleadings, briefs, appellate court notices and motions, memoranda of law, legislation, transcripts, delegation orders, correspondence, search warrants, complaints, memos, charts, service letters, and affidavits of service
- eFiling procedures in various courts
- Completion of a legal secretary, legal administrative assistant, or related post-secondary training program or certification; OR two or more years as a legal secretary.
It is our policy that all candidates submit to a background investigation prior to employment. This background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (state employment records)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Education/License Verification
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is Monday, May 22, 2023.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 65544
- Direct Link
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact K.C. Moua at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1279.
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to K.C. Moua at email@example.com or (651) 757-1279.
Why Work For Us
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive service to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at (651) 259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.