Paralegal – Full Time (Hybrid)
Paralegal – Full Time (Hybrid)
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time Paralegal to join its support staff team in its Minneapolis office. This position is a nonexempt position and will start as soon as possible after an offer is extended. This position also allows for a hybrid work environment.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: MMLA’s mission is to advocate for the legal rights of disadvantaged people to have safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. MMLA provides civil legal representation to clients with low incomes and seniors in 21 counties in central Minnesota, and to people with disabilities throughout the state. MMLA’s Minneapolis office primarily serves clients who reside in Hennepin and Anoka Counties. MMLA receives funding from a variety of public and private sources and enjoys strong support from the organized bar.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Provide administrative support for case handlers, including generating documents utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, database, and litigation software.
- Organize and maintain legal case files and calendars, client communications, and other administrative tasks as needed.
- Provide litigation support, including: assisting with drafting correspondence, pleadings, and other documents; drafting discovery documents and completing other discovery-related tasks; reviewing and proofing draft documents; applying coding/bate stamping schemes to documents and/or exhibits; e-filing and e-serving through the various court systems; and other litigation support tasks as needed.
- Provide back-up to others on the support staff team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of people with low incomes and other vulnerable clients.
- Ability to organize and maintain large volumes of electronic and paper files.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects and work under strict deadlines.
- Self-motivated and a team player.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to learn new technologies, software systems, and processes as they are deployed.
- Advanced proofreading, formatting, and editing skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Proficiency with a PDF manipulation software such as Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Phantom, electronic discovery processing, document imaging applications, and litigation support applications.
- Knowledge of litigation process, including document production and other discovery projects, document management and trial procedures.
- Familiarity with e-filing/e-serving.
- Paralegal certificate.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences.
SALARY: $36,862 to $47,207 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.