Legal Support SpecialistMid-Minnesota Legal Aid
BACKGROUND: Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) provides a full range of free civil legal services to low-income persons, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities. Legal Aid is supported by funding from the State of Minnesota, the federal government, local governments, the United Way, foundations, local law firms and corporations, etc. Legal Aid enjoys a good rapport with, and strong support from, the organized bar. Legal Aid does not receive funds from the Legal Services Corporation.
POSITION SUMMARY: The legal support specialist combines the skills of a legal assistant and legal secretary. The person will perform both administrative and litigation duties as requested by the assigned attorneys. Legal Assistant duties will include serving as a point of contact for case team attorneys. Duties will also include responsibility for coordinating litigation support, ranging from assisting with the drafting of discovery requests and discovery responses and other discovery-related tasks, to reviewing, analyzing, and assigning coding/bate stamping schemes to documents and/or exhibits and efiling. Secretarial duties will include generating documents utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, and database software; litigation software, organization, and maintenance of files and case calendars; and client communications. The person will also provide back-up to others on the support staff team.
· The ability and desire to relate to Legal Aid’s client community
· Self-motivated and a team player
· Able to multi-task and prioritize projects and work under strict deadlines
· Strong attention to detail
· Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
· Knowledge of litigation process, including document production and other discovery projects, document management, coding and scanning procedures, and trial procedures required
· Advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
· Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat, electronic discovery processing, document imaging applications, and litigation support applications such as Case Notebook preferred
· Able to learn new technologies, software systems, and processes as they are deployed
· Advanced proofreading, formatting, and editing skills. Ability to organize and maintain large volumes of electronic and paper files
· Paralegal certificate or comparable experience preferred
· Typing skills of at least 65 wpm preferred
SALARY/BENEFITS: Hourly position. The starting full-time salary is $31,080 to $36,288, depending on experience. Benefits include family health insurance, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, vacation, and sick leave.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply