Experienced Attorney – Full-Time
Experienced Attorney – Full-Time
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time, experienced attorney for the Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC). The staff attorney will focus primarily on case work and litigation in disability rights to advance the dignity, inclusion, self-determination, and equality of individuals with disabilities. This position will be based in MMLA's Minneapolis office, with some statewide travel required. This position is also in a hybrid work environment.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: MDLC is a statewide project of MMLA and is the designated agency to protect and advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities in Minnesota. MMLA's mission is to advocate for the legal rights of disadvantaged people to have safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. MMLA provides civil legal representation to clients with low incomes and seniors in 21 counties in central Minnesota, and to people with disabilities throughout the state. MMLA and MDLC receive funding from a variety of public and private sources and enjoy strong support from the organized bar.
- Apply the principles of MMLA's Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Provide legal services and advice to individuals, which may include legal advocacy, negotiation, mediation, litigation, and handling of administrative and court proceedings.
- Interview clients, review records, manage caseload, and conduct legal research.
- Engage in systemic and/or complex litigation. Educate policymakers on disability related policy issues, including serving on statewide councils and task forces.
- Draft reports and other materials related to MDLC's disability rights work.
- Conduct trainings, outreach, and community education.
- Monitor facilities across the state that serve people with disabilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Minnesota or eligible for admission by reciprocity.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities or with disability rights and advocacy.
- Demonstrated commitment to the needs of clients with low incomes and clients with disabilities.
- Five or more years of legal experience.
- Three or more years of litigation experience.
- Demonstrated legal skills, including:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective litigation outcomes.
- Proven record of effective case handling and outcomes.
- Access to reliable transportation, as statewide travel is required.
- Commitment to working as a team member to serve clients' needs.
- Three or more years of disability rights experience.
- Second language ability, particularly Spanish, ASL, Hmong, or Somali.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences.
SALARY: $76,364 - $90,445 per year, depending on years of experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.