Bilingual Family AdvocateLife Stories Child Advocacy
Position Title: Family Support Advocate, 32 hours per week, Bilingual required. This position is hourly, non- exempt.
Supervisor: Child Advocacy Center Program Administrator
Summary of Position: The Family Support Advocate is responsible for promoting a child-focused, supportive environment at the Child Advocacy Center by providing direct service crisis support, system information, and community resources for children and their families who participate in an investigation of child abuse or for children who have witnessed traumatic and violent crime.
Salary Range: $28,000 - $31,500- based on experience and qualifications. Position open until filled.
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must successfully pass a background check
• Bachelor's degree in human service- related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Job duties may at times require flexible hours outside of regular business hours or scheduled work hours.
• Ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities.
• In coordination with the CAC Program Manager, facilitate scheduling and services among the case participants to avoid conflicts and maximize use of facility. Interface with other multidisciplinary team members as needed.
• Provide crisis support to children and their families who visit the CAC, including but not limited to: greeting families, explaining the role of the Center in the process of the investigation, being aware of reason for the child's visit, supporting non-offending parent/caretaker when the child is interviewed, and supporting the child and other accompanying family members when the parent is in conference with the MDT.
• Maintain a clean, healthy, and safe environment, especially keeping toys clean and sanitary. Maintain appearance of interview rooms. Assist professionals with equipment set-up when necessary.
• Share with parent and or caregiver information on the Victim's Rights Act and assist families in completing applications to the Crime Victims Compensation Program when applicable. Collect needed case information from the non-offending caregiver and others as needed. Distribute and review other program information with the family from the Parent and Child Information Booklet. Provide mental health counseling resources, assess families for needs and make referrals for families to appropriate human service organizations located in families' communities.
• Evaluate and keep current all parent and community resource information distributed to families, maintaining a resource directory that will assist child victims and their families.
• Maintain and update the materials for the non-offending parent/caregiver information packet.
• Provide case management follow -up with children and their families, to ensure any further needs are addressed.
• Maintain processes to ensure the accuracy, timeliness, organization and professionalism of paperwork and documentation.
• Attend and participate in staff development trainings as provided. Attend appropriate training to enhance and/or maintain skills.
• Data entry and tracking on Child Abuse cases on NCATrak, maintaining appropriate documentation of services provided.
• Assistance with agency special fundraising and outreach activities.
Required Skills: Bilingual (Spanish) required. Knowledge of and sensitivity to family systems and child victimization. Knowledge of the overall child protection and legal system. Ability to communicate effectively with children and adolescents, ranging in age from infants to 18+ years of age. Academic training or practical experience in and knowledge of developmental stages of children and the dynamics and effects of child abuse. Excellent written and verbal communication, computer and mediation skills. Knowledge of community resources.
Life Stories Child &
Family Advocacy offers a benefits package including paid holidays and PTO and professional development opportunities. After 90 days of employment we offer partial employer-supported health and life insurance; short- and long-term disability coverage and a Simple IRA Retirement plan.