Mechanical Design Engineer
Position Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Department: Design & Application Engineering
Reports to: Drafting Supervisor
Interface With: Application Engineering, R&D Engineering, Production Engineering, and all manufacturing departments
Current Date: 2/1/2023
Revision Number: 1
Job Summary: Define SolidWorks design process best practices and standards to efficiently meet internal and external customer functional, technical and safety requirements. Using SolidWorks software, produce and revise engineering drawings/models, bill of materials or layouts that comply with drafting design standards and meet the requirements detailed in Drawing Requests (DR) or Engineering Change Orders (ECO).
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead efforts to improve modeling and design efficiency, including design automation.
- Documentation of procedures and design standards along with training of department personnel.
- Liaison to Production Engineering and manufacturing related to Design for Manufacturing and Assembly.
- Review/Process DR and ECOs and associated information, analyze, design, and retrieve information to complete drawings/models, layout or design.
- Coordinate with requester to discuss project scope and time schedule or receive and discuss project with supervisor.
- Be familiar with drafting standards and review design for compliance.
- Use SolidWorks/SmarTeam software to develop layouts, models/drawings and designs that meet engineering specifications.
- Prepare buyout material lists when required by DR.
- Complete data input forms for each product as required and check to ensure accuracy of other drafter’s forms.
- Sketch and measure cooling products from customers or units in the field to allow replacement of competitor’s cooling systems with L&M products.
- Assist customer service, purchasing, production suppliers with research and documentation as directed by supervisor.
- Report equipment problems to supervisor.
- Occasional weekly or weekend work may be required to complete a project.
- Perform related work or other job duties as required by supervisor.
- Perform work in a safe manner and follow all safety guidelines and procedure.
- Domestic and international travel required and could include weekend travel, depending on the project.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Entry Level:
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Knowledge in engineering drafting principles, practices, methods, and equipment required.
- Skill in preparing and interpreting detailed drawings, graphs, charts, and specifications.
- Must be detail orientated, have mechanical aptitude and strong initiative.
- Ability to communicate, in English, effectively and clearly by both written and oral means.
- Understand and interpret complex and technical information.
- Demonstrate maturity, intelligence, cooperation, and discretion.
- Work effectively with fellow employees and independently.
- Dependability under both supervised and unsupervised conditions.
- Experience using 3D modeling software.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical, drug and background test.
Minimum Qualifications for Application:
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
3D modeling experience.
3-5 years of experience with SolidWorks, detail drawings for sheet metal assemblies, weldments, and bolted assemblies.
Knowledge of Epicor or similar ERP system.
Experience in Design for Manufacturing and Assembly, 5S, or Six Sigma.
Experience with Driveworks and/or equation driven modeling.