Field Engineering TechnicianKootenai Electric Cooperative
Field Engineering Technician
Kootenai Electric Cooperative is located in scenic North Idaho, the heart of abundant recreational opportunities. Settled in a beautiful lakefront mountain setting, it is a favorite destination for tourists. Just outside our back door are national forests, lakes, rivers, and trails offering plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, boating/water sports, fishing, hunting, golfing, snow sports, and much more. The four distinct seasons offer recreational opportunities year-round. The Coeur d'Alene/Hayden metropolitan area also offers a variety of entertainment and shopping venues and is a short 45-minute drive to Spokane, Washington and access to domestic and international air travel. The purpose of the Field Engineering Technician is to design and stake line extensions, distribution and transmission lines in accordance with KEC standards.
1. Designs, surveys and stakes new customer line extensions and maintenance requests.
2. Researches property ownership.
3. Notarizes easements.
4. Assists the Project Engineer on capital projects and may engineer as directed.
5. Designs line extensions to KEC and NESC Standards.
6. Sizes transformers and conductors to meet customer needs.
7. Meets with customers or their representatives to assist with the design and plan phases of new line extensions.
8. Quotes costs for new line extensions.
9. Makes cost estimates for all phases for power line construction.
10. Represents KEC on various utility coordinating groups.
11. Works with state, county and city road relocations.
12. Makes recommendations for improvements.
13. Checks invoices for accuracy.
14. Ensures we stay within the prescribed budget.
15. Communication, Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills:
a. Keeps others informed. Reports and written communication are clear, timely and relevant. Clear, correct verbal communication. Good listener, tries to understand others. Effective in communicating with varied groups or individuals.
b. Enthusiastic team worker, helps others, promotes harmony among fellow workers, team members, supervisors and customers. Responds well to suggestions and criticism. Adapts easily to change, reacts well to additional or different assignments. Actions consistent with objectives and goals of the Team and the Cooperative.
16. Performs other duties as directed or required.
1. Education/Experience: a. Two (2) year degree in one of the Applied Science fields or equivalent experience.
2. Knowledge and Skill:
a. Experience working with customers in various situations.
b. Knowledgeable of NESC and NEC.
c. Knowledgeable of KEC power line construction methods, materials and equipment.
d. Experience with various types of surveying equipment.
e. Effective written and verbal communications.
f. Strong math skills, particularly trigonometry.
g. Strong mechanical aptitude.
h. Highly motivated.
i. Excellent interpersonal skills.
j. Attention to accuracy and detail.
k. Strong PC skills and ability to effectively use current KEC computer systems, including AutoCAD.
l. Be a qualified electrical worker. m. Valid driver's license.
3. Mental Demands:
a. Must be able to think through design and construction processes and be able to layout workable designs with realistic timelines and construction sequences.
b. Be able to calculate pole, pole top assembly, conductor, guy and anchor strengths and be able to assess NESC code requirements for utility installations.
Kootenai Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their disability or protected veteran status.